This vegan biryani recipe is a quick and tasty one-pan meal packed with vegetables. This dish is nutritionally balanced and ideal for a weeknight meal or meal prep. Made with vegan pantry staples like rice, vegetable broth and lentils, you’ll likely have many ingredients on hand already.
Skill: Easy | Time: 50 min | Servings: 4
Get the Veg Out newsletter for new vegan recipes + nutrition content!
This post contains affiliate links (including Amazon Associates) and I earn from qualifying purchases.
Biryani paste can be found at some grocery stores in the international aisle. Alternatively, if you have access to an Asian grocery store, you can typically find biryani paste there (or purchase it online). Biryani paste is a mixture of spices and aromatics typically blended with oil.
Use any vegetables you like; frozen vegetables can save some time and make this recipe even more budget-friendly. I always use frozen green peas, but frozen cauliflower is also nice to have on hand. Where I live, fresh cauliflower can be extremely expensive sometimes.
Vegan Biryani Recipe with Vegetables: Nutritionally Balanced
This is a nicely nutritionally balanced vegan dinner. Rice, raisins and vegetables provide carbohydrates (and some protein) while the lentils and green peas add a bigger boost of plant-based protein. The fat content largely comes from the biryani paste’s oil, meaning this is a fairly low fat meal (feel free to serve with an additional source of fat ex. topping with crushed cashews, adding in slivered almonds, etc.).
This meal comes together in one pan and takes about 30 minutes to cook (most of that time is for the rice). I typically serve as-is because there is so much flavor there’s no need for other additions!
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please rate and comment below so others benefit from your experience.
More Deliciously Filling Vegan Dinner Recipes
Vegan Biryani Recipe with Onion, Garlic and Carrots
- Cutting Board
- Large pan
- 1 medium onion , diced
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 3 small carrots , chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 ½ tbsp biryani paste (2-3 depending on spice preference)
- 2 C cauliflower , cut into florets
- 1 C basmati rice
- ¼ C raisins
- 2 ¼ C vegetable broth (low sodium if possible)
- 1 C green peas , frozen
- Add diced onion to a pot or pan on medium heat. Sauté for 3-4 minutes (you may need to add a splash of water to prevent sticking).
- Add garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Add carrot and biryani paste; sauté for another 2 minutes, until the spices are fragrant.
- Add cauliflower, rice, raisins, lentils and coat with the biryani paste.
- Pour in the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and let the mixture simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in frozen peas and let them cook through for 2-3 minutes.