I could easily eat a bowlful of this black bean and corn salsa. Maybe that’s weird but maybe it’s just that this recipe is so tasty!
This black bean and corn salsa is a perfect compliment to any Mexican dish. It is bright and fresh with great flavour and lots of great nutrition! Beans are a great source of plant-based protein and fibre. Tomatoes are packed full with tasty antioxidants from their bright red colour! The cilantro also adds a great nutrition boost.
Please note: This post contains affiliate links (including Amazon Associates) and as such, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Here I’ve used a white onion, but you can also use a red onion. The more colourful a vegetable, the more antioxidants it tends to have. So if you are looking to optimize your nutrition, a simple switch from white to red onions could be beneficial!
It’s best to let this sit for 1-2 hours before serving. The flavours will marinate together and it will become even tastier.
Try it on it’s own with some tortilla chips. Or add it to some quinoa tacos to make a perfectly balanced whole-food, plant-based meal. It’s also great with avocado in it, just wait and chop the avocado prior to serving. Let me know in the comments below your favourite way to make salsa!
Black Bean and Corn Salsa
- Cutting Board
- Large bowl
- 540 mL/ 19 oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 C corn kernels
- 1/3 C onion finely diced
- 1/2 C cilantro , chopped (or more to taste)
- 2 1/2 C tomato , diced
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- Juice of 1 lime about 1 tbsp
- Rinse and drain the beans.
- If using frozen corn kernels, place them in a bowl with water and microwave for 1-2 minutes or cook them on a stove. Drain away the water.
- Chop the onion, cilantro and tomato.
- Toss everything together.
- Serve with any taco filling, like my quinoa tacos, or with tortilla chips!