Get ready for a delicious, nutritious and incredibly easy black bean butternut squash soup! This recipe is made in one pot with simple ingredients that are healthy and flavorful.
Skill: Easy | Time: 40 min | Servings: 4
Get the Veg Out newsletter for new vegan recipes + nutrition content!
This post contains affiliate links (including Amazon Associates) and I earn from qualifying purchases.
How to Make Butternut Squash Black Bean Soup
This is a one-pot recipe, so it’s super easy to make. Start by prepping all the ingredients. Next, heat some oil in a large pot and lightly cook the onions before adding garlic and red bell peppers.
Allow that to cook for a few minutes.
Toss in spices and coat the vegetables well. Pour in some cooking sherry and scrape up the delicious spices and flavor that may be stuck to the pan.
At this point you’ll add the remaining ingredients and cook until the squash is soft.
Options for Blending Black Bean Squash Soup
It’s up to you how pureed you’d like your soup to be. You can eat it as-is with no blending, partially blend it or blend completely. I prefer about 50/50 blended vs textured.
There are a few different options for blending this black bean squash soup:
- Immersion blender: I use this method in the video below because it makes for a one-pot recipe and the least amount of dishes. Pulse the immersion blender throughout the soup to your desired consistency.
- Regular blender: Transfer a portion of the soup into a blender, blend to smooth, then stir back into the rest of the soup. You can blend anywhere from ¼ to ¾ of the soup, depending on your texture preference.
- Food processor: If you don’t have an immersion blender or regular blender, a food processor works great to blend a portion of the soup.
Serving this Plant-based Soup Recipe
This butternut squash black bean soup can be served as an appetizer, side dish or main meal!
It’s a fabulous appetizer or side dish on a cool day. It pairs really well with Mexican-inspired recipes but is also tasty with other vegan dinner ideas!
On its own, this delicious black bean soup can be a meal. It contains black beans which provide fibre, plant-based protein and carbohydrates along with vitamins and minerals. Butternut squash is also packed with nutrition including fibre, carbohydrates and vitamin A.
Along with the other vegetables, herbs and spices, this soup is nutritious and flavorful.
This recipe is quite low in fat so if you want this to be a meal, I highly recommend adding some healthy fats to the top. Avocado or cashew sour cream are great choices!
Extra Topping Ideas
Who doesn’t love loading food with delicious toppings that can add flavor, satisfaction and nutrition to a meal?! This soup can be topped with endless combinations so you’ll never get bored.
Some of my favourite toppings for black bean butternut squash soup are:
- Fresh cilantro
- Vegan sour cream
- Fresh lime juice
- A sprinkle of extra smoked paprika
- Pepitas/ pumpkin seeds
- Baked tortilla strips
- A side of tortilla chips (use the soup like a dip!)
Soup Storage and Freezing Tips
Homemade soup can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
If you like, you can also freeze the soup (after cooling it completely) for a few months. To thaw, allow the soup to sit in the fridge overnight then reheat on the stove (or use a microwave).
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please rate and comment below so others benefit from your experience.
More Vegan Lunch Recipes
Black Bean Butternut Squash Soup (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- Cutting Board
- Large pot
- Can Opener
- Immersion blender
- 4 C butternut squash , cubed
- 2 tbsp avocado oil (or oil of choice)
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- ¾ C red onion , finely diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper , finely diced (about ¾ C)
- 1 ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin seed , ground
- ½ tsp dry oregano
- 1 tsp Herbamare seasoning (I use the spicy variety; or use ½ tsp salt + ½ tsp herb blend)
- ¼ tsp black pepper , ground (or to taste)
- ¼ C cooking sherry or dry white wine
- 3 C vegetable broth (no salt added/ low sodium)
- 1 19 oz/ 540 mL can black beans , drained and rinsed
- Juice of half a lime (optional)
- Optional garnish (fresh cilantro, vegan sour cream, avocado, baked tortilla strips/ tortilla chips, pepitas and/ or a sprinkle of smoked paprika)
- Prep all ingredients above (peel and cube squash, mince garlic, dice onion and red bell pepper, drain and rinse can of black beans).
- In a large pot, heat 2 tbsp avocado oil over medium heat. Add ¾ C finely diced red onion and cook until onion begins to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add in 3 cloves minced garlic and ¾ C diced red bell pepper. Cook for another 2-3 minutes, until garlic is fragrant.
- Add spices into the pot: 1 ½ tsp smoked paprika, 1 tsp ground cumin seed, ½ tsp dry oregano, 1 tsp Herbamare seasoning and ¼ tsp ground black pepper. Toss to coat vegetables with the spices.
- Add ¼ C cooking sherry and scrape any spices into the liquid.
- Add remaining ingredients to the pot: 3 C vegetable broth, 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed, 4 C cubed butternut squash and the juice of half a lime (optional).
- Place a lid on the pot and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Remove the lid, lower the heat and allow soup to simmer for another 10 minutes.
- To create a creamy soup, use an immersion blender to pulse the soup a few times, leaving as much or little texture as you like (can create a completely pureed soup if you like). If you don’t have an immersion blender take ¼ to ½ the soup and blend in a blender or food processor then return to the soup.
- Serve topped with your favourite ingredients like fresh cilantro, vegan sour cream, avocado, baked tortilla strips/ tortilla chips, pepitas and/ or a sprinkle of smoked paprika!