Vegan spaghetti sauce with lentils is an easy vegan recipe that packs flavor and nutrition. This recipe is simple and quick to make and freezes well, making it ideal for meal prep. Being gluten free, it’s a great choice when serving people with dietary restrictions!
Skill: Easy | Time: 50 min | Servings: 4
Get the Veg Out newsletter for new vegan recipes + nutrition content!
This post contains affiliate links (including Amazon Associates) and I earn from qualifying purchases.
Spaghetti Sauce with Lentils
Adding lentils to spaghetti sauce is one of my favorite ways to make a quick and nutritionally balanced vegan sauce. Lentils are a great addition to tomato-based sauces and creamy sauces (you can blend lentils into creamy sauces for a boost of protein and fiber!).
In spaghetti sauce, lentils are a simple and inexpensive way to replace ground meat which is typically the base of a spaghetti sauce. Lentils are smaller in size compared to other legumes so they more closely resemble the texture of ground meat. They’re also packed with protein and minerals so you won’t miss important nutrients.
To make up for the flavor lost from ground meat fat, cook the veggies in some vegetable oil. The oil will add flavor to the sauce and make it more satiating.
To add extra healthy fats and flavor top the spaghetti with some homemade vegan Parmesan cheese made with cashews! Parmesan cheese is the perfect addition to make this vegan spaghetti sauce recipe taste like it’s not vegan.
Make Vegan Spaghetti Sauce Balanced
Many vegan spaghetti sauce recipes only use vegetables, herbs and spices. While that’s a great start to a recipe, the final meal may not be completely balanced.
If you only add pasta to the vegetable sauce, the final meal may lack protein. Furthermore, if you don’t use a whole wheat or high fiber pasta, the meal may lack fiber. Lentils are a great addition to almost any meal. They make spaghetti sauce more nutritionally balanced and help vegans to meet their nutrient needs!
I hope you enjoy this simple, budget-friendly and nutritionally balanced recipe for vegan spaghetti sauce. Don’t forget to also make a batch of vegan Parmesan cheese for serving!
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please rate and comment below so others benefit from your experience.
More Deliciously Filling Vegan Dinner Recipes
Vegan Spaghetti Sauce with Lentils
- Large pot
- Can Opener
- 3 C crushed/ pureed tomato
- 1 19 oz can lentils , drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion , diced (about 1 C)
- 1 large bell pepper , diced (about 1 ¾ C)
- 3 C mushrooms , diced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 ½ tsp dry oregano
- 1 ½ tsp dry basil
- salt (to taste; about 1 tsp)
- pasta , cooked to serve (375 – 400 g)
- Prepare the vegetables by dicing the 1 C onion, 1 ¾ C bell pepper and 3 C mushrooms.
- Place the oil and vegetables into a large pot and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, until the vegetables are softened.
- Add 3 C strained tomato and the drained and rinsed lentils along with the herbs and spices (1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 ½ tsp dry oregano, 1 ½ tsp dry basil and salt to taste).
- Let the sauce simmer on low heat for 10-15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning/ salt as needed.
- Serve over cooked pasta and top with vegan Parmesan cheese.
- Note: makes enough sauce for about 375 – 400 gram package of dry noodles.