This sweet potato burrito recipe with refried beans is an easy and tasty meal that’s perfect for weeknights. It’s quick to make and can be filled with all your favorite burrito ingredients.
Get the Veg Out newsletter for vegan recipes + nutrition content!
This post contains affiliate links (including Amazon Associates) and I earn from qualifying purchases.
Sweet Potato, Bean and Kale Burrito Ingredients
This burrito recipe has 3 parts: roasted sweet potato, refried beans and the toppings to serve. There are many ways to assemble this recipe and some substitutions too.
Roasted Sweet Potato
- Sweet potato: As these are sweet potato burritos, you’ll need to start with some sweet potato. 2 large or 3 smaller sweet potatoes is a good amount.
- Taco seasoning: You’ll coat sweet potatoes in delicious taco seasoning for the perfect flavor. Use any taco seasoning blend you like. I always keep plenty of homemade taco seasoning on hand for quick and easy recipes like this.
- Vegetable oil: You’ll also need some oil for roasting the sweet potatoes. Any type of vegetable oil can work so use what you like or have on hand.
- Canned refried beans: I love the combination of roasted sweet potato and spiced refried beans. If you’re vegan, check that the refried beans don’t contain lard or other non-vegan ingredients.
- Nutritional yeast: For a great cheesy bean flavor, I love to add nutritional yeast. This ingredient is optional; nutritional yeast is not the same as baking yeast and cannot be substituted.
- Garlic and onion powder: While you could cook the refried beans with onions and garlic, to keep this recipe quick, easy and tasty, I use onion and garlic powder.
- Smoked paprika and ground cumin seed: For smokiness and great flavor, add smoked paprika and ground cumin to the beans. Other types of paprika (sweet or hot) can work.
- Salt and pepper: Round out the flavor of your refried beans with salt and pepper. How much salt you need varies based on how much salt is already in the refried beans, which is why I don’t provide a specific amount.
- Tortillas: This recipe makes 4 burritos with large flour tortillas as the wraps. Use gluten free tortillas, if needed, to keep the recipe gluten-free.
- Vegan sour cream: Use anything you like in your burritos, but I think this recipe pairs particularly well with homemade cashew sour cream (or any store-bought vegan sour cream).
- Kale or other leafy greens: Along with sour cream, I always pair these burritos with thinly sliced kale that I coat with lime juice. This adds a bright, fresh flavor and crunch to the burritos.
- Other burrito toppings: You can stop there or add any other fillings you like. Just make sure you can wrap the burritos without everything falling out!
How to Make Sweet Potato and Bean Burritos
This is a simple recipe to make and doesn’t take too long either!
Step 1: Roast Sweet Potato
To start, peel and cube the sweet potato. I recommend cutting the pieces quite small so they’re easy to wrap into your burrito.
Once cut, toss with oil and taco seasoning on a baking pan. I line my baking pan with a silicone baking mat (or parchment paper) for easy cleaning.
Roast the sweet potatoes in an oven preheated to 400 °F for 20-25 minutes, until they’re soft and start browning slightly.
Step 2: Mix Refried Beans
While the sweet potatoes roast, prepare all your other burrito fillings.
To make the refried beans, simply add a can of refried beans to a medium-sized mixing bowl along with all the spices.
Stir until the beans are evenly mixed, then taste and adjust the seasoning to your liking.
I use refried beans that have jalapeno peppers in them, so they’re already spicy. Add diced jalapeno pepper or some other spicy peppers to your refried beans if you like the heat (or simply use as a burrito filling ingredient).
Take this time to prepare any other filling ingredients. I use thinly sliced kale tossed with lime juice and homemade cashew sour cream (prepared in advance).
Step 3: Assemble Burrito
When your sweet potatoes are cooked, remove from the oven and assemble your burritos.
Take 4 large tortillas and spread ¼ of the refried beans onto the center of each tortilla. Then, top with about ¼ of the roasted sweet potatoes. Finish off with your other filling ingredients.
Roll the burritos and enjoy!
How to Create a Balanced Vegan Meal
I consider a balanced meal one that contains a good source of plant-based protein, carbohydrates, fats and lots of vegetables or fruits.
This meal has plant-based protein in the refried beans, along with lots of carbohydrates in the beans, sweet potato and tortillas.
There are healthy fats in vegetable oil (used to roast the sweet potato) and in the cashew sour cream (if using). Other healthy fat options for this recipe could include avocado or guacamole.
Sweet potatoes are a vegetable, along with kale. Pairing an orange vegetable with a dark green vegetable is one of the most nutritious combinations!
You can add extra veggies to this meal by including tomatoes, avocado, corn, jalapeno, bell peppers or whatever else you like.
You could also serve this along side a bean and corn salsa for more fresh flavor!
Refried Bean Burrito Variations
There are plenty of ways to create tasty vegan burritos.
If you’re looking for a lighter meal, consider skipping the tortilla and create a burrito bowl instead. Load up on leafy greens as the base then pile on the roasted sweet potato, refried beans and toppings like salsa.
You can also pair the sweet potatoes with other protein options like:
How to Refrigerate and Reheat Your Burritos
It’s best to eat assembled burritos the day they’re wrapped. If you think you’ll have leftovers, keep all the ingredients separate.
I recommend storing extra sweet potato and refried beans in an airtight container in the fridge. They should last up to 5 days.
When ready to eat again, reheat the sweet potato and refried beans. Using a microwave is the easiest way to do this.
Then, assemble the burritos in tortillas with whatever filling ingredients you’ve prepared.
If you make this recipe, please rate and comment below to help others benefit from your experience!
Sweet Potato Kale Burrito
- Measuring spoons
- Medium mixing bowl
- 2 large sweet potatoes (3 small; 650 g)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (30 mL)
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 2 cups can refried beans (14 oz/ 450 mL can; 450 g)
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (15 mL)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder (5 mL)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- salt , to taste
- black pepper , to taste
To Serve (optional)
- 4 large flour tortillas
- leafy greens
- vegan sour cream
- Other burrito toppings (lime juice, cilantro, salsa, jalapeno peppers, vegan cheese shreds, avocado, guacamole, etc.)
Step 1: Roast Sweet Potato
- Peel some sweet potato and cut it into small cubes.2 large sweet potatoes
- Place on a baking tray (lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat for easy clean up).
- Toss the cubed sweet potato with vegetable oil and taco seasoning.2 teaspoons taco seasoning, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Roast in an oven preheated to 400 °F for 20-25 minutes.
Step 2: Mix Refried Beans
- Add refried beans to a medium-sized mixing bowl along with all the spices.2 cups can refried beans, 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, ½ teaspoon ground cumin, salt, black pepper
- Stir to combine, then taste and adjust flavors as needed.
Step 3: Assemble Burritos
- Prepare any other burrito fillings you like. I think this recipe pairs perfectly with kale tossed with lime juice and homemade cashew sour cream.Other burrito toppings
- When the sweet potatoes are cooked, assemble your burritos. Use 4 large flour tortillas and spread ¼ of the refried beans onto each tortilla, followed by ¼ of the roasted sweet potato.4 large flour tortillas
- Add any other filling ingredients you’ve prepared then wrap the burrito.leafy greens, vegan sour cream, Other burrito toppings
More Vegan Main Meal Recipes
Like this recipe? You should also try:
About Nicole Stevens
Nicole is a vegan Registered Dietitian (RD) and founder of Lettuce Veg Out.
She helps people thrive on a vegan diet with balanced recipes and easy-to-understand nutrition science.
Reply to comment