Sweet potato black bean enchiladas are the ultimate vegan meal! Enchiladas were the first recipe I tried when I became a vegetarian in high school. Since then I have made this dish countless times and enhanced the recipe more with each attempt.
Skill: Easy | Time: 1 hr 15 min | Servings: 6 enchiladas
Get the Veg Out newsletter for new vegan recipes + nutrition content!
This post contains affiliate links (including Amazon Associates) and I earn from qualifying purchases.
This sweet potato black bean enchilada recipe is full of delicious flavor and nutrition! The tasty filling is wrapped in a delicious tortilla and covered in a savory tomato-based enchilada sauce.
On top of that, it’s simple to make and budget-friendly. This recipe provides a large pan of enchiladas so you can enjoy them through the week. I don’t know about you, but I love leftovers!
Vegan Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas: Healthy and Nutritionally Balanced
These sweet potato black bean enchiladas are quite healthy as-is. The recipe is packed with vegetables which provide fiber, vitamins and minerals. There is also black beans and corn for a boost of plant-based protein along with even more fiber.
You will get some healthy, complex carbohydrates from the sweet potato in addition to lots of beta-carotene/ vitamin A. Additional carbohydrates, fiber, B-vitamins and minerals will be found in the tortilla wraps (choose whole wheat if possible).
The one thing that's missing from this recipe is a good source of healthy fats. Healthy fats from avocado, nuts and seeds will make any meal more satisfying and help fill you up and keep you feeling full. Avocado or guacamole is an ideal addition to enchiladas or any Mexican-inspired meal. Cashew sour cream is also a great choice if you have a few extra minutes to make some!
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please rate and comment below so others benefit from your experience.
More Deliciously Filling Vegan Dinner Recipes
Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas
- 6 large flour tortillas
- 1 medium sweet potato (about 2 C)
- 1 medium onion (about 1 C)
- 1 medium bell pepper (about 1 ½ C)
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoon oil (I like to use avocado oil)
- 1 19 oz can black beans
- 1 cup frozen corn
- ½ cup cilantro , chopped (or to taste)
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoon chili powder
Vegan Enchilada Sauce
- 1 batch Vegan enchilada sauce
- Peel and cube the sweet potato into small pieces. Cook in a pot with some water on medium-high heat, or in a steamer for 5 minutes. Drain water and set aside.
- Chop onion and bell pepper, then mince the garlic.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes, until it starts to soften.
- Add garlic and peppers and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add spices, drained and rinsed black beans and corn. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in sweet potato. Take the pan off heat and stir in cilantro.
- Make a batch of 2-minute enchilada sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
- Grease the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish (I use oil spray).
- To assemble, lay out 6 large flour tortillas and divide the filling evenly among them. Wrap the enchiladas and place in baking tray, with the open edge of the tortilla facing down to hold it together.
- Pour sauce over the top of the enchiladas. Try to pour/ spread the sauce evenly.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until sauce begins to bubble around the edges.
- Garnish with extra cilantro before serving (optional).