This easy vegan chili cheese dog recipe is a great way to enjoy a classically non-vegan meal as a vegan! Using tasty chili and some vegan cheese sauce (or shredded vegan cheese), this is a delicious and simple vegan lunch or dinner.
Get the Veg Out newsletter for vegan recipes + nutrition content!
This post contains affiliate links (including Amazon Associates) and I earn from qualifying purchases.
Make a Vegan Chili Cheese Dog
Making vegan chili cheese dogs is really simple if you have access to vegan hot dogs! For this recipe, use any brand of vegan hot dog you enjoy.
There are two options for the cheese: vegan cheese sauce or shredded vegan cheese. Either works. I typically have homemade vegan cheese sauce on hand (in the freezer) so it’s quick and easy to thaw and use for this recipe.
If using shredded vegan cheese, I recommend placing it on top of the chili but under the hot dog in the bun. Heat from the chili and hot dog will help it melt better.
Best Chili for a Chili Dog
The other critical ingredient for a chili cheese dog is chili!
The best chili to use is whatever recipe you like the best. Many recipes for chili cheese dogs use ground meat to make a quick “chili” with just a few extra ingredients. This is certainly an option if you want to use vegan fake meat, but I prefer a regular chili with beans and corn.
Maybe it’s because I’m vegan, but I love bean chili and don’t see why most chili dog recipes exclude the beans.
As with the cheese sauce, I often have homemade vegan chili in the freezer. This, along with the pre-made cheese sauce, allows for such a simple meal.
Vegan Chili Cheese Dog Topping Ideas
Of course, a chili cheese dog is topped with chili and cheese. However, there are plenty of other tasty vegan toppings to spice up your hot dog. Get creative and customize to your taste.
Some delicious vegan hot dog topping ideas include:
- Red onion
- Green onion
- Vegan sour cream
- Hot sauce
- BBQ sauce
- Sliced jalapeno peppers
- Banana peppers
- Caramelized onions
- Mayo/ spicy mayo
- Sauerkraut or kimchi
- Corn (if not in the chili)
- Mac and cheese (because, why not?!)
- Mustard/ honey mustard
- Sliced radishes
- BBQ pulled jackfruit
- Vegan bacon bits
The list could go on; don’t hold back - get creative!
Baked Vegan Chili Dogs
If you’re looking for variety, you can also make this into a baked vegan chili dog recipe.
Simply line a baking dish with hot dog buns, fill with chili, hot dogs and any other toppings, then top with cheese and bake.
To make this even more delicious, brush the buns with some garlic butter first. To make a quick vegan garlic butter, simply mince 2 cloves of garlic and place into a small glass dish with ¼ cup of vegan butter or margarine. Microwave for 20-30 seconds, until the butter is melted.
If you make this recipe, please rate and comment below to help others benefit from your experience!
Vegan Chili Cheese Dogs
- 4 vegan hot dogs
- 4 hot dog buns
- 2 cups vegan chili , cooked
- ½ cup vegan cheese sauce (or shredded vegan cheese)
- onion , chopped (optional)
- tomato , chopped (optional)
- parsley , chopped (optional)
- cilantro , chopped (optional)
- Cook the vegan hot dogs according to package directions. I typically either barbecue them or pan fry them in some oil (most vegan hot dogs are really low in fat so this helps add flavor).4 vegan hot dogs
- Prepare vegan chili and vegan cheese sauce (or shredded cheese). Chop onion, tomatoes and parsley/ cilantro (if using).2 cups vegan chili, ½ cup vegan cheese sauce
- To assemble, place about ¼ cup of chili into each bun followed by the cooked hot dog.2 cups vegan chili, 4 hot dog buns
- Top with vegan cheese sauce, onion, tomato and parsley/ cilantro.onion, tomato, parsley, cilantro
- Serve immediately.
More Vegan Main Meal Recipes
Like this recipe? You should also try:
About Nicole Stevens
Nicole is a vegan Registered Dietitian (RD) and founder of Lettuce Veg Out.
She helps people thrive on a vegan diet with balanced recipes and easy-to-understand nutrition science.
Reply to comment