This is the best vegan tofu scramble recipe with vegetables! Tofu scramble is the perfect savoury and high-protein vegan breakfast options, and a great way to start you day with a serving of nutrient rich vegetables! I love pairing these tofu scrambled “eggs” with my healthy vegan bacon bits recipe. The salty crunch from the bacon bits is a perfect complement to the softer texture of the tofu scramble with vegetables.
Sign up for the Veg Out newsletter to get vegan recipes and nutrition content from a Registered Dietitian!
This post contains affiliate links (including Amazon Associates) and I earn from qualifying purchases.
Are Eggs Plant-based? Can Vegans Eat Eggs?
To quickly answer the question: vegans would not eat eggs, but if you follow a plant-based diet you may or may not include eggs in your diet.
Eggs are not vegan because they are an animal by-product. You can learn more about the ethics behind eating eggs with a quick google search, but let’s just say that the egg industry is no less cruel than any other animal agriculture endeavour.
There is no specific definition of a plant-based diet. Often people associate a plant-based diet as being the same as a vegan diet but there are differences. Firstly, veganism is an ethical lifestyle choice, not a diet. A plant-based diet is often followed more for health or environmental reasons and is typically a bit more “flexible” than someone who is strictly vegan.
A plant-based diet may include eggs, and to varying levels depending on the individual. Regardless, if you are looking to include more plant-based protein sources into your diet, finding amazing vegan egg substitutes like this vegan tofu scrambled “egg” recipe with vegetables, you will be working your way towards an eating pattern that has many health benefits.
Can you Make Tofu Scramble without Turmeric?
Most, if not all, tofu scrambled “egg” recipes contain turmeric. This vegan tofu scramble recipe with vegetables is no different. However, the turmeric is more for colour than anything else. Turmeric has powerful pigments in it and can turn white tofu into the golden colour we would typically associate with a scrambled egg dish.
You can choose to leave the turmeric out of this recipe if you like, just know the colour of your vegan scrambled “eggs” won’t be the same as the photo.
If you don’t have turmeric in your spice cupboard, I would highly recommend purchasing some. Turmeric has many potential health benefits and is a tasty spice to have on hand!
How to Serve your Tofu Scramble
You can eat this vegan tofu scramble recipe as is, or however you used to eat scrambled eggs. I like to add on some ketchup, and my partner adds in some hot sauce to his vegan scrambled “eggs”.
As noted above, this tofu scramble is perfect to pair with some healthy vegan bacon bits. Nothing beats that salty crunch with the soft texture of the scrambled tofu.
This tofu scramble recipe with vegetables is also perfect to serve on toast, or in a breakfast burrito wrap. You can add avocado, salsa, and black beans to make a Mexican style breakfast burrito, or just add some leafy greens and you will be good to go!
Let me know if you’ve ever tried tofu scramble before! If not, I’d love to hear what you think of it after trying this recipe!
The Best Vegan Tofu Scramble with Vegetables
- Large bowl
- Large pan
- Cutting Board
- 2 tbsp vegan margarine or butter or oil of your choice
- ½ medium onion
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 11-12 cremini mushrooms can use button mushrooms
- Rinse the block of tofu. Crumble the tofu into a large bowl. You can choose to keep larger chunks or crumble it into very small pieces, depending on the texture you prefer.
- Toss the tofu with the 3 tbsp nutritional yeast, ¾ tsp garlic powder, ¾ tsp onion powder, ½ tsp turmeric, ½ tsp salt, ¼ tsp smoked paprika, black pepper to taste, and ¼ C non-dairy milk. Set aside.
- Finely dice the ½ medium onion, 1 medium green bell pepper, and 11-12 cremini mushrooms.
- Heat the margarine or oil in a large pan on medium heat. Add the diced vegetables.
- Cook 5-7 minutes, until the vegetables are soft and there is no liquid in the pan (the vegetables will release liquid and it may be helpful to drain this away).
- Add in the crumbled tofu mixture and toss with the vegetables for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve topped with ketchup, hot sauce, green onion, and a side of buttery toast (or however you like!).