This vegan breakfast burrito recipe is a perfectly balanced and tasty morning meal! Filled with tofu scrambled “egg”, avocado, salsa, black beans and some vegetables, you can’t beat the combination of flavours and nutrients.
It’s the perfect option for meal prep as it’s a great vegan freezer burrito! Grab one and go in the mornings when you’re busy and don’t have time to cook.
Sign up for the Veg Out newsletter to get vegan recipes and nutrition content from a Registered Dietitian!
This post contains affiliate links (including Amazon Associates) and I earn from qualifying purchases.
How to Make Eggless Breakfast Burritos High Protein
Eggs are a staple breakfast food and often used for their high protein content. No matter why you avoid eggs, it’s important to ensure your breakfast meal contains protein to set you up for the day and keep you feeling full.
The simple way to make an eggless breakfast burrito that is still high in protein is to make tofu scrambled “eggs”. Tofu crumbles into a fantastic texture similar to scrambled eggs. Add is some tasty spices and vegetables and you have yourself a healthy, vegan and high protein egg replacement.
I’ve also included black beans in this recipe for breakfast burritos without eggs. Black beans contain protein, complex carbs and fibre and are a simple, cheap and tasty addition to a breakfast burrito!
Ingredients for a Healthy Breakfast Burrito
For any balanced vegan breakfast you want to aim for a source of complex carbohydrates, protein, healthy fats and vegetables or fruit.
These vegan breakfast burritos include my delicious tofu scrambled “egg” recipe which provides protein, healthy fat and vegetables. The black beans are fantastic for additional protein, fibre and complex carbs!
The carbs from the black beans, along with the whole wheat tortilla warp provide plenty of energy to get your day going!
I also use avocado for healthy fats and additional fibre. The salsa is great for flavour and a bit of a spicy kick (if you like that!). I’ve also included some coleslaw mix for some crunch and additional nutrition from the vegetables.
All in all, these are a very well balanced and healthy vegan breakfast option!
Vegan Freezer Burritos
This recipe can easily be frozen so you have vegan freezer burritos handy whenever you like! Meal prepping a breakfast helps on those busy mornings when the alternative may be skipping breakfast.
Since this is a higher protein option with plenty of nutrition, it’s a great recipe to keep on hand in the freezer.
If you are planning to make these eggless breakfast burritos for freezing, there are a couple modifications I would recommend:
- It works best if you skip the coleslaw mix OR cook the coleslaw mix into the tofu scramble. Freezing fresh coleslaw mix doesn’t turn out that well (watery, loses the crunch).
- You may want to skip the avocado. Avocado does freeze ok but it may turn brown even in the freezer unless you put some lime/ lemon juice on it before freezing.
If you don’t want to freeze the burritos, they can be prepped ahead of time and kept in the fridge for up to 4 days. Just be aware the avocado will likely turn brown (you could add avocado fresh each day if you like).
This recipe lasts in the freezer for up to 3 months. They would be best to eat within 2 months.
One last note is to make sure you remove the tin foil holding the burrito together BEFORE microwaving it. If using a toaster oven to heat the breakfast burrito up and you’ve only used tin foil to wrap the burrito, it should be ok in the oven (but if you’ve used any plastic wrap, that needs to be removed before using a toaster oven or regular oven).
I hope you enjoyed this recipe and be sure to share your creations with me on social media by tagging @lettucevegout!
Vegan Breakfast Burrito Recipe with No Egg
- Large pan
- Tin foil
- Cutting Board
- 1 batch tofu scramble
- 1 can (14 oz/ 398 ml) black beans drained and rinsed
- 12 small flour tortillas whole wheat (or 6 large/ 12 inch tortillas)
- 2 large avocados ripe, sliced
- 2-3 cups coleslaw mix or other leafy green/ salad mix
- 12 tbsp salsa
- Prepare the batch of tofu scramble (recipe linked above).
- Stir the can of drained and rinsed black beans into the tofu scramble.
- Assemble the burritos by laying out all the whole wheat wraps on a piece of tin foil and dividing the tofu scramble, sliced avocado, coleslaw mix and salsa evenly between the wraps.
- Carefully wrap each burrito by folding in both sides then carefully picking up the bottom edge and rolling away from you. Use tin foil to secure the burrito into place.
- Store in the fridge for up to 4 days OR use the recipe modifications in the text above to store in the freezer.
Join the Community for Vegan Recipes
This is an updated post: Original post date August 2019.