This carrot banana smoothie recipe is packed with vibrant flavors and a delightful blend of fruits, veggies, and plant-based goodness. Its nourishing ingredients are perfect for boosting your energy levels in the morning or afternoon.
In just a few minutes, you’ll enjoy an ultra-tasty, creamy smoothie that’s free of common allergens, including dairy and gluten. It’s perfect for breakfast or a quick snack when you’re between meals and want to get in some extra nutrition!
Get the Veg Out newsletter for vegan recipes + nutrition content!
This post contains affiliate links (including Amazon Associates) and I earn from qualifying purchases.
Carrot Banana Smoothie Ingredients
To make this invigorating carrot banana smoothie recipe, you'll need the following ingredients:
- Banana: The star of this smoothie, banana brings natural sweetness and a creamy texture. Bananas are full of essential nutrients, and dietary fiber, making it a perfect base ingredient.
- Carrot: Adding a vibrant orange hue and a subtle earthy sweetness, carrots also provide a host of nutritional benefits like beta carotene (vitamin A) and fiber.
- Vegan Yogurt: Yogurt offers a tangy and creamy element to the smoothie. Any type of plain or vanilla yogurt can work well in this smoothie. I typically buy unsweetened yogurt but if yours is sweetened, you may not need to add the dates.
- Plant-Based Milk: Plant milks, such as soy milk, add a creamy consistency while ensuring the smoothie remains dairy-free. Any type of plant-based milk can work. Like the yogurt, a plain or vanilla flavored milk can work well for this smoothie and if the milk is sweetened, you may not need the added sweetness from the dates.
- Almond Butter: Adding a rich and nutty flavor, almond butter contributes healthy fats, protein, and other essential vitamins and minerals. It helps to make the smoothie more satiating, aids in nutrient absorption, and adds even more creamy texture. Other types of nut or seed butters can work as well.
- Hemp Seeds: These tiny powerhouses of nutrition are packed with omega-3 fatty acids and protein. Hemp seeds provide a subtle nutty flavor and make the smoothie more filling and satisfying.
- Dates: Dates act as a natural sweetener and add depth of flavor to the smoothie. They’re a tasty way to sweeten smoothies while offering some nutritional benefits. Adjust the amount to your desired level of sweetness.
- Ground Cinnamon: This warm and aromatic spice adds a touch of complexity to the smoothie and enhances the overall flavor. A pumpkin pie spice can also work well if you’re a fan of those flavors.
How to Make this Carrot and Banana Smoothie
Making this carrot banana smoothie is quick and effortless. Just get your ingredients, blend and enjoy! Depending on your blender's power, this process usually takes around 1-2 minutes.
If needed, pause the blending process and scrape down the sides of the blender with a spatula. This will ensure that any ingredients stuck to the sides are incorporated back in, resulting in a more consistent texture.
Once blended to your desired consistency, taste the smoothie and adjust the sweetness or thickness if necessary. Add more dates for additional sweetness or a splash of plant-based milk to thin it out, if desired.
If you prefer a colder and thicker smoothie, consider using a frozen banana. Peel and slice the banana before freezing it for easy blending. Without frozen banana, you may want to add some ice to the smoothie.
To serve, pour the smoothie into a glass or to-go cup. Consider garnishing with a sprinkle of cinnamon, a drizzle of almond butter, or a few hemp seeds for an extra touch of visual appeal.
That’s it! Drink when you’re ready and enjoy your delicious smoothie.
How to Serve a Balanced Vegan Meal
The carrot and banana smoothie is not only a delightful treat but can also be a satisfying and balanced vegan meal without anything else.
Almond butter and hemp seeds in this smoothie provide a source of plant-based protein and healthy fats, while the natural sugars from the banana and dates offer a boost of carbohydrates.
Furthermore, carrots, banana and hemp seeds contribute fiber, promoting digestive health.
You may find this smoothie more satisfying as a snack than a meal, but if all you want is a quick and lighter breakfast, this smoothie may be enough to keep up your energy until your next meal.
Banana Carrot Smoothie Variations
While this recipe is already delicious as is, you can always experiment with variations to suit your taste preferences. A few ideas I think would taste great include:
- Green Boost: Incorporate a handful of spinach or kale for added nutrients.
- Creamy Coconut: Replace the plant-based milk with coconut milk for a creamy and tropical note.
- Chai Spice: Substitute the ground cinnamon with a blend of chai spices like cardamom, ginger, and nutmeg.
- Berry Burst: Add a handful of frozen berries, such as strawberries or blueberries, for a burst of antioxidant goodness.
I also have other smoothie recipes posted to Lettuce Veg Out, including:
- Avocado Oatmeal Smoothie
- Avocado Banana Peanut Butter Smoothie (with Spinach)
- Vegan Pineapple Spinach Smoothie (with Banana)
- Green Apple Cinnamon Smoothie
How to Store Leftover Smoothie
If you happen to have leftovers from your carrot banana smoothie, don't worry!
You can easily transfer leftover smoothie to an airtight container or jar with a lid and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Give it a quick shake before consuming to re-combine any separated ingredients.
If you make this recipe, please rate and comment below to help others benefit from your experience!
Carrot Banana Smoothie
- 1 medium banana (100 grams)
- ¾ cup carrot , peeled and cut into coins (85 grams)
- ½ cup vegan yogurt , plain, unsweetened (140 grams)
- ¾ cup plant-based milk , I use soy (175 milliliters)
- 2 tablespoons almond butter (30 grams)
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds (30 grams)
- 1-2 dates
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Add all ingredients to a blender, then blend until the smoothie is smooth and creamy.1 medium banana, ¾ cup carrot, ½ cup vegan yogurt, ¾ cup plant-based milk, 2 tablespoons almond butter, 2 tablespoons hemp seeds, 1-2 dates, ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- You may need to scrape down the edges of your blender to get everything blended smoothly.
- Optional to use frozen banana for a thicker, colder smoothie.
More Vegan Beverage Recipes
Like this recipe? You should also try:
About Nicole Stevens
Nicole is a vegan Registered Dietitian (RD) and founder of Lettuce Veg Out.
She helps people thrive on a vegan diet with balanced recipes and easy-to-understand nutrition science.