The fresh flavor of a pistachio mint filling with creamy ricotta makes these vegan cucumber rolls a decadent appetizer or snack! While it takes some time to roll them up, you can always top cucumber slices with the filling to speed the process. Full of flavor and nutrition, you can’t go wrong with making these tasty vegan cucumber rolls.
When I first heard of using mint in savory recipes (as opposed to sweets/ desserts) I was curious how the flavors would work. There was no need to fear; mint is a delicious and versatile herb. Along with fresh lime juice, the pistachio filling has an amazing, bright flavor.
Skill: Intermediate | Time: 1 hr | Servings: 20 rolls
Sign up for the Veg Out newsletter to get vegan recipes and nutrition content from a Registered Dietitian!
This post contains affiliate links (including Amazon Associates) and I earn from qualifying purchases.
Making a Simple Vegan Appetizer
I don’t often make appetizers, but if I do, I like to keep things simple.
These cucumber rolls aren’t necessarily simple. They require you to make 2 different fillings, then roll them up in thinly sliced cucumber. It’s quite a bit of work; however, you can make this process easier by slicing the cucumber into rounds and spoon the filling on top.
You’ll still have a tasty (and visually appealing) appetizer, but will save a ton of time.
If you want to go through with making rolls, that’s great! I used a mandolin slicer to get thin cucumber strips. You could also use a knife, but it may be challenging to get consistently thin strips.
How Many Cucumbers do I Need?
I was lucky when I made this recipe for the photos. The cucumber I bought hardly had any seeds in it; this allowed me to use strips of cucumber right to the center. When making this vegan appetizer recipe in the past, the cucumbers I used were seedier.
If the cucumber is seedy, the slices may fall apart so use the outside pieces that don’t contain seeds. If this is the case, you’ll need at least 2 cucumbers. If the cucumber doesn’t have many seeds, I found 1 large cucumber made enough strips to roll all the filling.
Is This a Nutritionally Balanced Vegan Appetizer Recipe?
Yes! This is an incredibly nutritious recipe packed full of tasty ingredients. The almonds in the ricotta and the pistachios are two nuts which have many health benefits. In fact, I recommend eating some nuts and seeds everyday if possible!
The mint in this cucumber roll recipe also inserts a leafy green herb. Leafy greens are a fantastic source of nutrition, especially for vegans, and herbs tend to be a great source of antioxidants which promote health.
Finally, the cucumber itself is a great vegetable choice. While lower in nutrients and higher in water content then other vegetables, cucumber still provides small amounts of vitamin C, fiber, potassium, magnesium, vitamin A, and vitamin K. Additionally, cucumber is hydrating which can make for a nice refreshing snack.
Enjoy these Vegan Cucumber Rolls!
I love to make this recipe in the summer as it has such a refreshing taste, but these vegan cucumber rolls can be enjoyed year-round! Go ahead and let me know how yours turn out, and how impressed people are with your cooking skills after they taste them. Make sure to start by preparing a batch of my vegan ricotta cheese recipe!
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please rate and comment below so others benefit from your experience.
More Tasty Vegan Appetizer Recipes
Vegan Cucumber Rolls: Pistachio, Mint and Ricotta
- Prepare a batch of vegan ricotta cheese.
- Wash out the food processor (from the ricotta cheese) and add the ½ C pistachios, 3 tablespoon onion, 2 tablespoon packed mint leaves, 1 tablespoon lime juice, 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar and ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Process until the mixture is finely chopped. Be sure to stop before the pistachios become too blended (as it will start to turn into a pistachio butter).
- Thinly slice strips of cucumber. If you have a mandolin slicer, use that. Get some toothpicks ready.
- Take a strip of cucumber and place ½ tablespoon ricotta cheese and 1 teaspoon pistachio mix onto one end of the strip. Start rolling, keeping the filling tightly packed to the inside. Seal the roll by placing a toothpick through the cucumber.
- Continue until all the filling is used.
- Alternatively, you can slice the cucumber into rounds and top with the filling.