Many vegan enchilada sauce recipes require cooking or thickening of the sauce over heat before you use it. While this may help develop certain flavors, this enchilada sauce is meant to be baked over top of enchiladas. The flavors can come together while your enchiladas bake, saving loads of time!
Get the Veg Out newsletter for vegan recipes + nutrition content!
This post contains affiliate links (including Amazon Associates) and I earn from qualifying purchases.
Tomato Paste Creates Great Sauce
Another reason this recipe comes together so quickly is there’s no need to thicken the sauce. Tomato paste is used instead of tomato sauce, so a much thicker consistency is achieved based on its starting ingredients – not cooking method.
Tomato paste is ideal to thicken most red enchilada sauces. If you base the whole recipe off tomato paste, it’s possible to create a thick sauce in a couple minutes. However, you can achieve a thinner consistency with additional flavor by adding vegetable broth.
How to Use this Enchilada Sauce
This recipe is ideal for pouring over any enchilada recipe before baking it.
I love my recipe for black bean sweet potato enchiladas so you should definitely check that out!
This recipe also works great in addition to taco, burrito or fajita recipes that could use a boost of flavor and sauce. I like to add this sauce to TVP tacos or drizzle some into my jackfruit fajitas!
Kick up the Heat
If you’d rather spicy vegan enchilada sauce, there’s two simple ways to add heat:
- Sprinkle some cayenne pepper to taste.
- Add your favorite hot sauce. I recommend no more than 2 tablespoons of hot sauce so you don’t thin the sauce.
If you make this recipe, please rate and comment below to help others benefit from your experience!
Vegan Enchilada Sauce (Gluten Free and Dairy Free)
- Mixing bowl (medium-sized)
- 150 mililitres tomato paste (1 small can)
- 1 ¼ cups vegetable broth (no salt added/ low sodium)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- salt (to taste; about ¼ tsp)
- Whisk all ingredients together.150 mililitres tomato paste, 1 ¼ cups vegetable broth, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon chili powder, ½ teaspoon ground cumin, salt
- Pour over enchiladas before baking or use in taco/ burrito recipes!
More Vegan Dip and Sauce Recipes
Like this recipe? You should also try:
About Nicole Stevens
Nicole is a vegan Registered Dietitian (RD) and founder of Lettuce Veg Out.
She helps people thrive on a vegan diet with balanced recipes and easy-to-understand nutrition science.
I made this for my vegan sister with gluten free tortillas. We all agreed it was an excellent sauce. Thank you.
So happy you both enjoyed!