This vegan pineapple spinach smoothie recipe is packed with delicious tropical flavors. It’s perfectly sweet without any added sugars.
It’s also incredibly refreshing and hydrating from the added cucumber and coconut water; perfect for a hot summer day or any time of year!
Get the Veg Out newsletter for vegan recipes + nutrition content!
This post contains affiliate links (including Amazon Associates) and I earn from qualifying purchases.
Ingredients for This Smoothie Recipe
This recipe uses five simple ingredients to create a refreshing, tropical and vibrant green smoothie. Loaded with flavor from pineapple and banana, the smoothie also offers some greens (and nutrition) from spinach and cucumber. To make it, grab some:
- Pineapple: As the star ingredient, you’ll need some fresh pineapple. You can also use frozen pineapple chunks to save time and create a colder smoothie that’s perfect for those hot days when you want a light, cold drink.
- Spinach: For a nutrition boost and beautiful green color, I use spinach. You can use any other leafy green vegetable in smoothies; kale is another popular option.
- Banana: Some banana adds extra tropical flavor, natural sweetness, creaminess and bulk to the smoothie. As with pineapple, use fresh or frozen banana. If using frozen pineapple and frozen banana, the smoothie will be significantly thicker and you may need more liquid to blend. Frozen banana has a stronger flavor, so I use fresh in this recipe to help the pineapple flavor shine through.
- Cucumber: This ingredient is optional, but I find cucumber incredibly refreshing. With a mild flavor and high water content, it’s tasty added to a smoothie, especially one that has a lighter texture.
- Coconut water: Coconut water provides a naturally sweet flavor and creates a deliciously tropical-tasting smoothie. If you don’t have (or don’t like) coconut water, regular water works great. You could even blend in about 3 tablespoons of shredded coconut for that tropical flavor (only with a high-speed blender, otherwise the smoothie will have more texture).
How to Make a Pineapple Spinach Smoothie
Smoothies are quick and easy to make, and this one only requires two simple steps.
Step 1: Prep Ingredients
If using fresh pineapple, cut away the outer skin, remove the core and chop your remaining pineapple into chunks. If using frozen pineapple, simply measure the amount directly.
You may need to wash your spinach. Wash the cucumber too, then cut a piece that’s approximately 3 inches (7.5 centimeters) long. Then peel your banana and you’re ready to blend.
Step 2: Blend into a Smoothie
Once you’ve added the ingredients to your blender, blend on high speed until no visible flecks remain.
If using frozen pineapple and banana, the smoothie will be thicker, so you may need extra liquid (coconut water) to blend thoroughly.
If the pineapple and banana are fresh, you may want to add an ice cube or two for a nicely chilled smoothie. You could also pour the smoothie over ice to serve!
Create a Balanced Snack
This recipe is meant to be a fun beverage or even a snack. It mainly provides carbohydrates and fiber from the fruits. The vegetables and fruits offer lots of micronutrients and electrolytes for a hydrating and nourishing drink.
You could even blend some hemp seeds into the smoothie for that protein and healthy fat boost!
I’ve also created some other smoothie recipes that are more filling and can be consumed as a quick breakfast. If you’re looking for a higher protein smoothie with satisfying fats, you can also try my:
- Avocado Oatmeal Smoothie
- Green Apple Cinnamon Smoothie (with Spinach and Banana)
- Avocado Banana Peanut Butter Smoothie (with Spinach)
- Carrot and Banana Smoothie
How to Store Leftovers
This smoothie recipe is meant to be consumed the same day it’s made. However, you can refrigerate leftovers in an airtight jar or bottle for up to two days.
You’ll likely need to stir the ingredients before drinking if it’s sat in the fridge overnight. If it’s in a jar, simply shake it before drinking.
If you make this recipe, please rate and comment below to help others benefit from your experience!
Spinach Pineapple Smoothie
- 1 ½ cups pineapple , cut into small chunks* (210 grams)
- 1 cup spinach , lightly packed (25 grams)
- 1 medium banana (110 grams after peeling)*
- 3 inch piece cucumber (65 grams)
- 1 cup coconut water (250 milliliters)**
Step 1: Prep Ingredients
- If using fresh pineapple, cut into small pieces and remove the skin.1 ½ cups pineapple
- If needed, wash the spinach and cucumber.1 cup spinach, 3 inch piece cucumber
- Add all ingredients to a blender.1 ½ cups pineapple, 1 cup spinach, 1 medium banana, 1 cup coconut water, 3 inch piece cucumber
Step 2: Blend Into a Smoothie
- Blend the smoothie ingredients on high speed until thoroughly pureed. I don’t like texture in smoothies, so I blend until there’s no flecks left (but you can blend to your preference).
- Serve your smoothie cold!
More Vegan Beverage Recipes
Like this recipe? You should also try:
About Nicole Stevens
Nicole is a vegan Registered Dietitian (RD) and founder of Lettuce Veg Out.
She helps people thrive on a vegan diet with balanced recipes and easy-to-understand nutrition science.