Vegan garlic bread is a mouth-watering, flavor-packed and incredibly simple recipe. As a crowd-pleasing favorite with endless options for slicing your baguette and serving with different toppings, this is a versatile recipe for any occasion!
Get the Veg Out newsletter for vegan recipes + nutrition content!
This post contains affiliate links (including Amazon Associates) and I earn from qualifying purchases.
Is Garlic Bread Vegan?
The average garlic bread at a restaurant or in a grocery store is not vegan; neither is the typical garlic butter spread that many people purchase.
If garlic bread is vegan, it’s likely made with olive oil or vegan margarine instead of butter (however, most margarine options are not dairy free and therefore not vegan).
To ensure a vegan garlic bread, it’s often best to make it at home (or order from a vegan restaurant). Since making homemade vegan and dairy free garlic bread is so simple, it’s the option I typically opt for.
How to Make Vegan Garlic Bread
Vegan garlic bread is simple to make and really only requires two steps:
- Select a vegan baguette (this recipe uses a store-bought baguette)
- Make vegan garlic butter
I have a recipe for vegan garlic butter that offers two options: a solid garlic spread and a melted version. Either works for this recipe, so make whichever is easier for you (melted takes a bit less time because you don’t have to wait for the vegan butter to soften).
After that, just decide how you want to cut your baguette, load it with garlic butter and bake to toasted perfection!
Once out of the oven, feel free to sprinkle on extra chopped parsley and/ or vegan Parmesan cheese for an extra boost of flavor.
Vegan Cheesy Garlic Bread: 3 Options
Who doesn’t love deliciously cheesy garlic bread? I suspect many people do so I’m providing three options to make this vegan.
First, you can top your garlic bread with vegan cheese shreds before you bake it. This creates a delicious, melted cheesy garlic bread option.
Otherwise, you can sprinkle vegan Parmesan onto the top of the bread once it’s out of the oven. If you really love cheese, why not use both?
And for the third option, you can easily dip your delicious baked garlic bread into a vegan cheese sauce or dip! I love this recipe for vegan beer and cheese dip as it has an amazingly cheddar-y taste.
Is this a Plant-based Recipe?
Whether you consider this to be a plant-based garlic bread recipe or not probably depends on your definition of plant-based.
Since this recipe is vegan, it is technically made exclusively from plants and therefore could be considered plant-based. However, many people who use the term plant-based are implying that a recipe doesn’t include any processed ingredients (whole food plant-based) which is not the case for this recipe.
We use delicious and creamy vegan butter to make this garlic bread and I wouldn’t want it any other way!
Regardless of how you want to classify this recipe, it’s absolutely delicious and can be easily served to anyone (vegan or otherwise) as it tastes exactly like you would expect a non-vegan garlic bread to taste!
If you make this recipe, please rate and comment below to help others benefit from your experience!
Vegan Garlic Bread (Dairy Free)
- 1 medium baguette (any shape)
- 1 batch vegan garlic butter (solid or melted)
- fresh parsley , diced (to taste; optional)
- vegan cheese shreds (or Parmesan; to taste; optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Decide how you want to cut your baguette. The two easiest options are to slice across the top, going ¾ of the way down and about ½ inch/ 1 centimeter apart. Or you can slice the baguette in half (both options shown in video below!). A third option is to fully cut the baguette into slices and place each slice onto the baking tray (this option is a bit more work as you have to butter each piece individually).1 medium baguette
- One the baguette is cut, place it onto a parchment or silicone mat lined baking tray.
- Brush the baguette with garlic butter. If you’ve sliced the top of your baguette, work the garlic butter down into each slice.1 batch vegan garlic butter
- Optional to top the garlic bread with shredded vegan cheese (if using Parmesan cheese, sprinkle on once out of oven).vegan cheese shreds
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the baguette is browned on the bottom (and the vegan cheese shreds are melted, if using – note that not all vegan cheese shreds melt well).
- Optional to sprinkle on some chopped parsley and/ or vegan Parmesan cheese before serving!fresh parsley
More Vegan Bread Recipes
Like this recipe? You should also try:
About Nicole Stevens
Nicole is a vegan Registered Dietitian (RD) and founder of Lettuce Veg Out.
She helps people thrive on a vegan diet with balanced recipes and easy-to-understand nutrition science.
Reply to comment