This incredibly easy recipe for BBQ chickpeas is perfect to add to any meal! It offers great flavor and plant-based protein for salads, pizzas and wraps!
It’s so easy to make, it’s hardly a recipe! You’ll only need 2 simple ingredients and a few minutes to add this tasty protein to your next meal or snack.
Skill: Easy | Time: 15 min | Servings: 3
Sign up for the Veg Out newsletter to get vegan recipes and nutrition content from a Registered Dietitian!
This post contains affiliate links (including Amazon Associates) and I earn from qualifying purchases.
What are BBQ Chickpeas?
BBQ chickpeas can be made in many ways and are often used as a snack or salad topping. They can be made with dry spices or BBQ sauce, and are often made in the oven for a crisp and crunchy treat.
While many recipes roast BBQ chickpeas, I prefer to cook them stovetop to keep the chickpeas softer. I prefer this for salads and wraps. This way, I find the chickpeas a perfect replacement for barbecue chicken.
However, if you’re looking for a snack, roasting the chickpeas until they’re crisp is a great option. This recipe provides directions for roasting the chickpeas or cooking them stovetop.
Ingredients and Substitutions for Barbecue Chickpeas
This recipe is so simple it’s almost not even a recipe. However, it’s something I regularly make for easy lunches (in a wrap) and it’s my all-time favorite way to make Caesar salad into an exciting, filling and satisfying meal.
There are only 2 ingredients you need:
- Chickpeas: To keep this recipe as basic as possible, start by draining and rinsing canned chickpeas. Keeping canned chickpeas and beans on hand is ideal when you want some quick and easy nutrition in any meal. You can, of course, use freshly cooked chickpeas if you have those around.
- Barbecue sauce: Use your favorite barbecue sauce to flavor the chickpeas! As this is the only other ingredient in the recipe, make sure you love the barbecue sauce taste!
That’s it! You can add some dry spices if you want even more flavor. See the “variations” section below for some ideas.
How to Make This Recipe: Instructions and Tips
Whether you want to roast your chickpeas or cook them stovetop, this recipe couldn’t be any easier!
For roasted chickpeas, add the drained and rinsed chickpeas into a glass or ceramic baking dish. A smaller 8 or 9-inch pan is a good choice.
Add the barbecue sauce and stir to coat the chickpeas evenly. Spread the chickpeas into an even layer across the bottom of the pan.
Preheat your oven to 425 °F and roast the chickpeas for 12-15 minutes. It’s best to toss the chickpeas around once or twice while they bake.
When they’re done baking, barbecue sauce should stick to the chickpeas and not pool at the bottom of your pan. After 12-15 minutes, barbecue sauce should be thick, but the chickpeas will be quite soft.
If you want crispier chickpeas, continue roasting for another 10-15 minutes, keeping a close eye on the chickpeas. For super crunchy chickpeas, it may be best to find a recipe that uses dry spices rather than barbecue sauce.
Stovetop directions start the same way. Add drained and rinsed chickpeas to a non-stick pan along with the barbecue sauce.
Stir to coat the chickpeas with sauce and cook over medium heat for 8-10 minutes. You’ll notice the sauce seems to become more watery at first, but then it should thicken and start to stick to the chickpeas.
Your stovetop chickpeas are done when sauce sticks to them and no longer pools in the bottom of the pan. This stovetop option creates delicious, saucy chickpeas that are perfect for salads and wraps. The chickpeas won’t become crisp using this stovetop method.
How to Serve this Recipe: Create a Balanced Vegan Meal
This recipe is great for adding flavor, fiber, protein and carbs to any meal. If you want a balanced meal, include lots of veggies and a source of healthy fats.
I typically make these BBQ chickpeas to serve over a large Caesar salad or to make a BBQ “chicken” Caesar wrap. Caesar dressing should provide healthy fats, depending on how it’s made, and the lettuce will help fill your plate with more veggies!
This is also delicious on a honey mustard salad or wrap and fantastic to add to pizza if you’re looking for a vegan BBQ chicken pizza alternative. I also often make this to use with avocado sauce on salads, wraps or even pasta!
BBQ Chickpea Variations
There’s plenty of ways to change the flavor of this recipe. it’s super versatile and can be served in any number of ways! Why not try:
- Serving with salad (honey mustard or Caesar)
- In a BBQ-style grain bowl
- On toast ex avocado toast
- In wrap (tortilla or pita)
- On pizza
- Lightly mashed as a “sloppy” sandwich with coleslaw
- As a snack as-is (great for the roasted option)
- On a roasted potato/ sweet potato with other toppings (think loaded potato)
- With avocado sauce to make a salad, wrap or pasta meal
If you’re looking for extra flavor, there’s lots of spices you can add to the chickpeas before you roast them or cook them stovetop:
- Paprika (sweet, smoked or hot)
- Ground cumin
- Chili powder
- Black pepper
- Garlic and/or onion powder
- Mustard powder (or prepared mustard)
How to Store Leftovers
Refrigerate leftover chickpeas in an airtight container for up to 5 days. This is a great recipe to double or triple if you’re looking for easy and tasty meals all week long!
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please rate and comment below so others benefit from your experience.
More Vegan Recipes with 10 Ingredients or Less
BBQ Roasted Chickpeas
- Glass baking dish , small (for roasted chickpeas)
- Non-stick pan , medium (for stovetop chickpeas)
- 2 cup chickpeas (19-oz can; 360 g of cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed)
- ¼ - ⅓ cup barbecue sauce
- Drain and rinse a can of chickpeas.2 cup chickpeas
- Toss the chickpeas with barbecue sauce in a small glass or ceramic baking dish.¼ - ⅓ cup barbecue sauce
- Bake in an oven preheated to 425 °F for 12-15 minutes; until the sauce sticks to your chickpeas. Toss the chickpeas around once or twice throughout the cooking time.
- Drain and rinse a can of chickpeas.2 cup chickpeas
- Add the chickpeas to a non-stick pan along with barbecue sauce.¼ - ⅓ cup barbecue sauce
- Cook the chickpeas over medium heat for 8-10 minutes, until sauce sticks to the chickpeas.
- Serve hot.