This vegan pumpkin brownies recipe is fudgy and chocolatey with the perfect amount of pumpkin spice flavor! With two delectable layers, it’s the ideal dessert for pumpkin and chocolate lovers.
Skill: Intermediate | Time: 45 min | Servings: 9 brownies
Sign up for the Veg Out newsletter to get vegan recipes and nutrition content from a Registered Dietitian!
This post contains affiliate links (including Amazon Associates) and I earn from qualifying purchases.
How to Make Pumpkin Brownies Vegan
Pumpkin brownies are simple to make and use ingredients that are easy to find! Since these are vegan brownies, there’s no dairy or eggs, but that’s not a problem at all. You can easily create a rich, chocolatey and fudgy brownie with vegan ingredients.
See the video below for a great visual on how to make these layered brownies!
They come together quickly since we use an electric hand mixer. Once the main portion of the brownies are whipped, scoop out ¾ C into a separate bowl.
That ¾ C of brownie mix gets additional pumpkin puree and spices to create the pumpkin brownie layer. The remaining batter gets some delicious cocoa powder whipped in to create the chocolate brownie layer!
This is a thick batter, so be careful when spreading it in the pan. A non-stick spatula works well but so do your hands! Since the batter is so thick, creating a swirl of pumpkin is quite challenging. I tried 3 times and wasn’t successful, so decided to stick with two distinct layers which are quite pretty and much easier to get right the first time!
Using Pumpkin Puree in Brownies
These pumpkin brownies rely on canned pumpkin puree for much of their moisture content. That’s one reason why pumpkin puree is present in both the chocolate and pumpkin layers, and the other is for maximum pumpkin taste!
Pumpkin puree is a great choice in baked goods to provide moisture. In the fall, many people have pumpkin puree around as it’s a common, delicious and healthy ingredient in lots of fun pumpkin recipes!
Since these are eggless brownies, the pumpkin puree helps replace some liquid content eggs would have provided in a non-vegan recipe.
Creating a Fudgy Brownie Recipe
Besides the delicious pumpkin puree, these brownies have a tasty amount of vegan butter and brown sugar to create the most decadent, fudgy result possible.
When it comes to making a brownie rich and fudgy, moisture content is key. Vegan butter whipped with brown sugar helps provide that needed moisture. In baking, sugar is considered a “wet” ingredient since it dissolves into liquid rather than staying dry!
All together, the added butter, sugar and pumpkin create a fantastic texture.
How to Store and Freeze Vegan Pumpkin Brownies
These brownies can be stored in an airtight container on the counter for up to 4 days. If you plan to store them longer, keep them in the fridge for up to 10 days.
These brownies can also be frozen. It’s best to cover them in plastic wrap before putting into a freezer bag. They can keep in the freezer for up to 4 months. To thaw, simply allow the brownies to sit in your fridge overnight.
They taste amazing warmed up, so feel free to microwave for 10-15 seconds before eating!
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please rate and comment below so others benefit from your experience.
More Delicious Vegan Dessert Recipes
Vegan Pumpkin Brownies Recipe (Fudgy and Dairy Free)
- Large bowl
- 9-inch baking pan (square)
- Can Opener
- Electric hand mixer
- Large mixing spoon
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Prepare a 9 inch square baking pan by coating it with cooking oil or an oil-based spray.
- In a large bowl, beat together ⅔ C vegan butter or margarine, 1 C lightly packed brown sugar, ⅔ C pumpkin puree and 1 tsp vanilla extract.
- Next, beat in 1 C all purpose flour, 1 tsp baking powder and ¼ tsp salt.
- Remove ¾ C of this mixture into a separate bowl. Add 2 tbsp pumpkin puree, 2 tbsp all purpose flour, ¼ tsp ground cinnamon, ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg and ⅛ tsp ground allspice to this separated ¾ C of batter.
- In the large bowl with remaining batter, beat in ⅓ C cocoa powder.
- Spread chocolate batter mixture evenly across the bottom of the greased baking pan.
- Spoon pumpkin batter mixture over the top. You can either spread it out into an even layer or create a fun pattern of orange batter – just make sure the batter is level before baking.
- Bake the pumpkin brownies for 30 minutes (a toothpick inserted into the centre should come out clean when ready). Allow the brownies to cool for at least 10 minutes, then slice and serve!