This incredibly easy vegan mug brownie is made in the microwave and ready in about 5 minutes. It’s massively chocolatey, completely irresistible and made directly in the mug you’ll eat from!
This rich and satisfying recipe uses simple ingredients for a super quick dessert; it may become your new favorite! Perfect for anyone looking for a single serve vegan dessert or if you don’t have access to an oven.
Get the Veg Out newsletter for vegan recipes + nutrition content!
This post contains affiliate links (including Amazon Associates) and I earn from qualifying purchases.
Are Mug Brownies Vegan?
Many microwave brownie recipes include egg and/ or dairy products meaning they aren’t vegan. This easy recipe uses basic ingredients while being completely vegan.
The main substitution you’ll make is to select a plant-based milk to keep everything dairy free. Other than that, this doesn’t require any fancy vegan ingredients; you likely have what you need already!
Vegan Single Serve Brownie Ingredients
This small, simple ingredient list contains only the essentials for an irresistible mug brownie. Everything works together to create a double chocolate brownie that’s rich and delicious.
- All-purpose flour: This creates a soft brownie texture. I tested out the recipe with whole wheat flour and it worked but created a denser brownie. The flecks of bran in whole wheat flour were noticeable, creating a “mealy” texture that I didn’t enjoy as much.
- Granulated sugar: Regular granulated sugar is a simple ingredient to keep on hand and enhances the sweetness of this dessert.
- Cocoa powder: This is one of the two chocolate ingredients and will provide most of the chocolate flavor.
- Salt: A small pinch of salt (preferably a finely ground salt) enhances the chocolate flavors in this mug cake. Its technically optional but helps create a depth of flavor that make this a delectable dessert!
- Plant-based milk: I use an unsweetened, unflavored soy milk, but any type of plant-based milk should work to blend with the dry ingredients and create a tasty and brownie batter.
- Oil: To create a super soft brownie with rich and satisfying flavors, oil is an essential liquid ingredient.
- Vanilla extract: Surprising as it may sound, some vanilla enhances the chocolate flavors in our mug cake!
- Chocolate chips: Select either dark chocolate or semi sweet chocolate chips, which tend to be vegan. This is how we achieve a super rich, double chocolate microwave brownie!
How to Make Vegan Chocolate Mug Brownie
This recipe is incredibly quick and easy. In about 5 minutes you can enjoy a warm, soft vegan brownie!
Step 1: Stir Dry Ingredients Together
Select a large mug or other microwave safe bowl/ ramekin. Stir together all the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt) until everything is evenly mixed through.
A wider mug/ bowl is easiest to get everything mixed evenly as you can see the bottom and make sure there aren’t any missing spots of unstirred ingredients. If you have a clear mug or bowl, that’s even better because you can lift it to see that everything at the bottom is mixed!
Step 2: Mix in Wet Ingredients
Measure and pour in the liquid ingredients (plant-based milk, oil and vanilla extract). Stir until the wet and dry ingredients are fully mixed and there aren’t any dry clumps at the bottom of the mug.
It’s best to use a scooping motion to scrape up any dry ingredients at the bottom.
Once the brownie batter is mixed, stir in chocolate chips. Add extra chocolate chips on top if you like.
Step 3: Microwave Brownie Batter and Serve
Microwave on high (full power) for 60 seconds. At this time, the brownie batter should be fully cooked through.
If you have a lower power microwave, the brownie may take more time. Every microwave is different so it’s difficult to set a specific time with something that’s so quick to cook.
When the brownie comes out, it’ll be very hot. Let it cool down for a few minutes or start eating very carefully.
If you like, serve topped with a scoop of vegan ice cream, whipped cream, chocolate sauce or anything else you like served along side a double chocolate brownie.
Microwave Mug Brownie Tips
This recipe is super easy and the main consideration is to mix all the ingredients thoroughly. Making sure the dry ingredients are evenly mixed, and then mixed completely with the wet ingredients is key!
If you aren’t sure how powerful your microwave is, you may want to start with 45 seconds of cooking and add an extra 15 seconds if needed (if the brownie doesn’t seem cooked through/ still seems wet in the center).
How to Store Leftover Mug Brownies
This recipe makes a single serving, so most people will eat the whole brownie in one sitting!
If for whatever reason you need to store leftovers, it’s easiest to cover the top of the mug with plastic wrap and keep in the fridge for up to a few days.
This recipe is so rich and satisfying since it’s loaded with chocolate!
If you make this recipe, please rate and comment below to help others benefit from your experience!
Double Chocolate Vegan Mug Brownie
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 pinch salt (about ⅛ teaspoon)
- 2 tablespoons plant-based milk (I use soy milk)
- 1 ½ tablespoons avocado oil (or other, neutral oil)
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon chocolate chips (semi sweet or dark chocolate)
- In a mug (or small, microwave-safe bowl/ ramekin), stir together the dry ingredients. Mix until there aren’t any noticeable clumps of flour, sugar or cocoa powder.2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, 1 ½ tablespoons cocoa powder, 1 pinch salt
- Add in the wet ingredients. Stir, scooping up the dry ingredients from the bottom until everything is just combined and there aren’t any clumps of dry ingredients.2 tablespoons plant-based milk, 1 ½ tablespoons avocado oil, ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Stir in chocolate chips.1 tablespoon chocolate chips
- Microwave on high for 60 seconds. Every microwave is different; if yours is particularly powerful, 50 second may be enough.
- Remove from microwave. The brownie will be very hot so allow to cool for a few minutes or be careful when eating!
- Optional to serve topped with vegan ice cream or whipped cream!
More Vegan Dessert Recipes
Like this recipe? You should also try:
About Nicole Stevens
Nicole is a vegan Registered Dietitian (RD) and founder of Lettuce Veg Out.
She helps people thrive on a vegan diet with balanced recipes and easy-to-understand nutrition science.
Wanted a sweet snack and decided to finally try a mug cake/brownie! So happy I did. This was delicious and just what I needed! Saved me time, travel, & money!
So happy you enjoyed - I just finished eating one myself!!
Loved this one. I did use milk and maybe added a little more than 2 tbsp and used almond extract by mistake but it cane out great! creamy and delicious! Thank you!
So happy you enjoyed Suzanne! I think almond extract would actually be quite tasty!