This vegan guacamole recipe is a perfectly simple snack or addition to any meal! With a classic flavor profile of garlic, lime, cilantro and onion, this guacamole pairs with any Mexican-inspired dish, sandwich or wrap.
Skill: Easy | Time: 15 min | Servings: 4
Sign up for the Veg Out newsletter to get vegan recipes and nutrition content from a Registered Dietitian!
This post contains affiliate links (including Amazon Associates) and I earn from qualifying purchases.
Is Guacamole Vegan?
The vast majority of guacamole recipes are vegan. Even store-bought guacamole is typically vegan.
However, there are certain brands of guacamole that do add milk or egg products. Egg typically comes from using mayonnaise in the guacamole (which is not a traditional ingredient as far as I’m aware). As for milk ingredients, these tend to be added to lots of food products and I honestly don’t know why.
If you’re vegan, always read labels whenever possible as there’s just no way of knowing if something is vegan or not.
Making Vegan Guacamole: When and Why?
Whenever I have ripe avocados on hand, along with cilantro, you can bet I’ll be making guacamole.
Not only is guacamole easy to make, it’s also packed with tasty nutrition! The other time I make guacamole is when I want to make a meal more satiating and satisfying by adding healthy fats (from the avocado).
Adding healthy fats to a meal, like the ones found in avocado, is an ideal way to keep you feeling full and satisfied. Whole food sources of healthy fats, like avocado, are fantastic because you not only get the benefits of the fat content; you also get the additional nutrition.
Fat is also important to include at each meal because it helps with absorption of fat-soluble vitamins and plant compounds such as certain polyphenols and antioxidants. These extra plant compounds aren’t essential nutrients, but are often found to have beneficial health impacts!
How to Make Vegan Guacamole
Vegan guacamole is simple to make. All you need to do is:
- Finely mince garlic and onion.
- Chop some cilantro.
- Mash a couple avocados.
- Stir these ingredients together with fresh lime juice and salt.
- Optional to add chili powder for extra flavor and spice.
There are other vegan ingredients you could add to guacamole, to switch things up or add additional flavor:
- Jalapeno peppers
- Bell peppers (red, yellow or orange)
- Mango or peach
- Tomato or tomatillos
- Black beans
Any or all vegetables could also be grilled first, for extra flavor! Just imagine a grilled onion and grilled corn mixed into guacamole – trust me, it’s delicious and worth the time if you have it!
Ways to Serve Vegan Guacamole
This vegan guacamole recipe can be served in so many ways! Some of my favorites include:
- In a wrap with veggies and barbecue tofu
- As a spread for a sandwich
- Topping off a burrito bowl
- The perfect filling for vegan fajitas
- Inside of vegan quesadillas
- A topping for quinoa tacos
- A dip for sweet potato fries or nacho fries
- To add color and flavor to black bean enchiladas
And of course, there’s nothing wrong with using this vegan guacamole recipe as a dip for corn chips! I also love using whole wheat pita bread as an alternative to corn chips.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please rate and comment below so others benefit from your experience.
More Deliciously Vegan Snack Recipes
Vegan Guacamole Recipe
- Cutting Board
- Box grater
- 2 avocados (make sure they are ripe ie soft to the touch)
- 2 tsp garlic , minced
- 2 tbsp red onion , grated
- ¼ C cilantro , chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp lime juice
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- Peel two avocados and remove the pits. Mash them into a desired consistency; I like to leave some small chunks but you can make it as smooth as you like.
- Mince the garlic, grate the onion, chop the cilantro and stir into the mashed avocado.
- Add the remaining ingredients (salt, lime juice, chili powder) to taste.