This vegan chickpea cookie dough recipe creates a delicious edible dough that you can eat raw! It’s packed with simple ingredients, lightly sweetened and loaded with chocolate chips for the perfect nutritious snack!
Raw cookie dough is fun to eat, and this recipe is sure to be a huge hit with anyone. It’s quick and easy to make, transportable and can be frozen for a tasty snack whenever you like!
Get the Veg Out newsletter for vegan recipes + nutrition content!
This post contains affiliate links (including Amazon Associates) and I earn from qualifying purchases.
Is Edible Cookie Dough Vegan?
While some edible cookie dough recipes are vegan, many include dairy. Eggs are left out since they aren’t safe to eat raw, but often recipes include ingredients like butter, milk chocolate or other dairy products.
Luckily, it’s easy to make edible vegan cookie dough using chickpeas as the base! Along with other simple, delicious ingredients, this rich and wonderfully textured cookie dough is ready to enjoy raw in minutes.
Chocolate Chip Chickpea Cookie Dough Ingredients
Just toss a few simple ingredients into a food processor and you’ll enjoy nutritious chickpea cookie dough in no time! To create this recipe you’ll need:
- Chickpeas: Using chickpeas as the base of this edible cookie dough recipe creates a nutritious snack that’s loaded with plant-based protein, fiber and healthy carbohydrates; the perfect combo to keep you feeling full and satisfied. Select a no-salt-added can of chickpeas.
- Peanut butter: For loads of flavor and some healthy fats, peanut butter is a great, accessible addition to this cookie dough. Use any nut or seed butter you like.
- Maple syrup: Some sweetness is required for a truly tasty cookie dough. I always keep some maple syrup on hand, but you can use brown sugar if you like!
- Oat flour: I love the flavor that oat flour brings to this chickpea cookie dough! It thickens the dough so you can roll it into snack bites if you like. To keep the recipe grain free, just substitute for extra almond flour.
- Almond flour: Almond flour is a delicious, nutritious choice to boost this recipe’s flavor.
- Vanilla extract: This ingredient is always welcome in my recipes for a boost of flavor!
- Cinnamon: Along with vanilla, some ground cinnamon adds nice flavor addition to the cookie dough. You can use any spices you like!
- Chocolate chips: Nothing beats the combo of chocolate with peanut butter, especially in a raw cookie dough like this!
- Salt: I use no salt added chickpeas and peanut butter without any salt, so adding a pinch of salt helps round out the flavors in this recipe. It’s technically optional but the salty-sweet flavor is delicious to me. Don’t use if your chickpeas and/ or peanut butter contain salt.
How to Make Chickpea Edible Cookie Dough
This recipe is incredibly easy to make in a food processor! In a few minutes you’ll enjoy a delicious vegan snack.
Step 1: Process the Chickpeas
To start, drain and rinse a can of chickpeas, then add them to your food processor.
Next, add the peanut butter, maple syrup, cinnamon and vanilla. Process this mixture on high speed until smooth. Scrape the edges down a couple times as you go.
Once blended, carefully scrape this mixture into a large mixing bowl. To save dishes, you could mix the remaining ingredients in the container you’ll store the cookie dough in.
Step 2: Stir Together and Serve
To the blended chickpea mixture, stir in oat flour, almond flour, chocolate chips and salt (if using). Once everything is well mixed, you’re ready to serve!
Yes, it’s really that easy to make and enjoy this delicious snack.
Create a Balanced Vegan Snack
This recipe is meant to be served as a snack. On its own, it’s quite nutritious!
When I say “balanced snack” I’m looking for something that provides protein, healthy fats and/ or fiber (ideally, two or three of these). For energy, you’ll also want carbohydrates!
This recipe has plenty of plant-based protein from its chickpeas, peanut butter and almond flour. You’ll get a good amount of fiber from the chickpeas and oat flour. There’s also a good amount of healthy fats from the peanut butter and almond flour. You’re getting all three components that’ll keep you feeling full!
There are also some delicious carbohydrates, both complex carbs (chickpeas, oat flour) and simple carbs (chocolate chips and maple syrup). This provides energy and since there’s lots of protein, fiber and healthy fats, these carbs will be digested more slowly, creating a longer lasting energy boost!
Edible Vegan Cookie Dough Variations
This recipe is perfect to customize since it’s so versatile and can be flavored any way you like! Just think about your favorite cookie and feel free to add those flavors to this recipe.
You can add chopped nuts, seeds or dried fruit for a trail mix cookie, or make a “cookies and cream” cookie dough with some crushed cream-filled chocolate cookies (you know the ones!).
Add a couple tablespoons of cocoa powder for a double chocolate cookie, or some rolled oats and raisins for an oatmeal-raisin cookie.
How to Refrigerate and Freeze this Recipe
Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to a week. If there are lots of people in your house (or your husband just loves eating raw cookie dough like mine does), make a double batch so everyone can enjoy this snack all week long!
You can also freeze this chickpea cookie dough in a freezer-safe container for up to 2 months. Allow it to thaw in the fridge overnight or on the counter for an hour or two before serving.
If you make this recipe, please rate and comment below to help others benefit from your experience!
Vegan Edible Chickpea Cookie Dough
- 2 cups chickpeas (no salt added; 19 oz can drained and rinsed)
- ⅓ cup natural peanut butter (or other nut/ seed butter)
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup oat flour
- ¼ cup almond flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips (semi sweet or dark chocolate)
Step 1: Process the Chickpeas
- Drain and rinse a can of chickpeas. Add to a food processor along with peanut butter, maple syrup, vanilla extract and ground cinnamon plus a pinch of salt.2 cups chickpeas, ⅓ cup natural peanut butter, ⅓ cup maple syrup, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1 pinch salt
- Process on high speed until the mixture is as pureed and smooth as possible.
Step 2: Stir Together and Serve
- Scrape the chickpea mixture from your food processor into a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients: oat flour, almond flour and chocolate chips.¼ cup oat flour, ¼ cup almond flour, ½ cup chocolate chips
- Enjoy your raw cookie dough! Store leftovers in the fridge or freeze.
More Vegan Dessert Recipes
Like this recipe? You should also try:
About Nicole Stevens
Nicole is a vegan Registered Dietitian (RD) and founder of Lettuce Veg Out.
She helps people thrive on a vegan diet with balanced recipes and easy-to-understand nutrition science.
I was excited to try this and it was a hit with the whole family!! Yum!