Vegan cookies for breakfast? Yes please!
I can’t think of a better way to start my day than with this delicious vegan breakfast cookies recipe. Loaded with all your favourite goodies, you won’t want to stop eating them. Luckily, they’re quite filling so that shouldn’t be a problem.
Sign up for the Veg Out newsletter to get vegan recipes and nutrition content from a Registered Dietitian!
This post contains affiliate links (including Amazon Associates) and I earn from qualifying purchases.
Essentially, all you need for this recipe is banana and oatmeal. It a great way to use ripe bananas or thaw frozen ones to clear space in your freezer.
Even though all you need is the oatmeal and banana, I also recommend adding baking powder. This allows the cookies to rise so they don’t end up too dense.
Every ingredient besides the banana, oatmeal and baking powder is for flavour. You can substitute in or out any of the ingredients below. Dried fruits, nuts, seeds or flavour extracts can work well; just think of all the amazing combinations you could create!
Other Vegan Breakfast Cookie Flavours
Dark chocolate cherry
- Use: banana, oatmeal, almond flour, coconut, vanilla extract, dried cherries, cocoa powder, dark chocolate chips (and baking powder)
- Use: recipe below but substitute the dates for raisins, and leave out the cocoa powder
- Use: recipe below but sub dates for mixed dried fruit, and sub walnuts for mixed nuts and seeds
Mint chocolate chip
- Use: banana, oatmeal, almond flour, mint extract, chocolate chips, cocoa powder (and baking powder)
Peanut butter and jam
- Use: banana, oatmeal, almond flour, powdered peanut butter, dried strawberries (and baking powder)
As you can see the possibilities are endless!
Meal Prep Vegan Breakfast Cookies with Large Batches
These vegan breakfast cookies are perfect to meal prep for the week. They are quick to make and store really well in the fridge. You could just as easily make a double batch and freeze some for later.
On busy days, if I rush out the door, I grab 2-3 cookies out of the fridge/freezer. By the time I get wherever I’m going, the frozen cookies have thawed and are ready to eat. If you’re looking for a warmer breakfast, just pop them into the microwave for a few seconds. You can also microwave them straight from frozen.
These gluten-free breakfast cookies also make a fantastic, energy-boosting snack! Full of whole grains from the oatmeal, you will get a good source of complex carbs and fibre. If you add some type of nuts or seeds to the mix, you’ll also get a good source of plant-based protein and healthy fats to keep you feeling full!
Let me know in the comments below how your cookies turn out!
Vegan Breakfast Cookies Recipe (Gluten-free)
- Large bowl
- Baking tray
- Silicone baking mat
- Cookie scoop
- Mash the bananas in a large bowl and stir in the vanilla.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Spoon heaping tablespoon-sized cookies (using a cookie scoop if you have one) onto a baking tray lined with parchment or a silicone mat. Press cookies down to flatten slightly.
- Bake at 350 °F for 10 minutes.