This falafel plate recipe is served with a simple hummus sauce and cucumber-tomato salad to create a fresh and delicious falafel platter! This recipe is quick and simple to make, ideal for either meal prep or a fast weeknight meal.
Sign up for the Veg Out newsletter to get vegan recipes and nutrition content from a Registered Dietitian!
This post contains affiliate links (including Amazon Associates) and I earn from qualifying purchases.
What is a Falafel Plate?
A falafel plate is simply a way to serve falafel on a plate rather than in a wrap. For this specific falafel plate recipe, we’re actually not making falafel patties.
Instead, we’re significantly speeding up the cooking process by flavouring whole chickpeas the same way you would make traditional falafel. All the flavour and a fraction of the time – sounds good to me!
What to Serve on a Falafel Plate
There are countless options for what you can serve on a falafel plate. This simple falafel platter is meant to be a quick dinner so I’ve paired the chickpeas with a simple hummus sauce and quick cucumber-tomato salad.
Other ideas for what you can serve on a falafel plate are:
- Tzatziki sauce
- Pickled onions or other quick-pickled vegetables
- Feta cheese
- Tahini sauce
- Fresh parsley or mint
- Fresh lemon wedges
- Roasted garlic
- Fresh or dried figs
- Pita bread or pita chips
- Maple glazed walnuts
- Extra virgin olive oil
The options for how to put together a falafel platter are endless! Use what you enjoy and what you have around.
I’ve kept this recipe extremely simple and quick to prepare. However, adding in any of the ingredients above would make for a special meal!
Creating a Simple Vegan Falafel Wrap
This recipe can easily be served as a falafel plate or in a pita bread wrap. Regardless, I like to serve this with some whole wheat pita bread to make a filling and well-rounded meal.
You can easily load up the falafel-flavoured chickpeas, cucumber-tomato salad and hummus sauce into a pita wrap if you want a quick and easy lunch or dinner idea.
The whole wheat pita will add some carbohydrates (aka energy), fibre, vitamins and minerals to the meal. Overall, the falafel plate recipe will be more satisfying with the addition of some pita!
Using Canned Chickpeas for a Falafel Platter
This recipe was designed in every way to be quick and simple. By using canned chickpeas, we’re saving tons of time from waiting for dry chickpeas to cook. Of course, if you have freshly cooked chickpeas on hand, that would be a delicious way to prepare this meal.
Chickpeas are one of my favourite legumes. They are packed with plant-based protein, fibre, iron, zinc and other essential nutrients! They’re also cheap, accessible and quick to prepare which is great for anyone looking to save time in the kitchen.
Let me know how your falafel platter turns out and if you share your creations on social media, be sure to tag @lettucevegout because I’d love to see what you make!!
You may also be interested in my simple baked vegan falafel recipe, if you want traditional falafel patties served with tabbouleh and tahini sauce.
Falafel Plate with Hummus Sauce (Easy Falafel Platter)
- Cutting Board
- Can Opener
- Large pan
Cucumber tomato salad:
- 1 C cucumber , diced
- 1 C tomato , diced
- 1/2 C onion , diced
- 1/3 - 1/2 C parsley , finely chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice , optional
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ C store-bought or homemade hummus
- 2-3 tbsp water (optional)
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a pan over medium heat, then add in the 3-4 cloves of minced garlic. Cook for 2-3 min.
- Add in the chickpeas and toss to coat in oil. Stir in the spices (2 tsp ground coriander, 2 tsp ground cumin, 1/2 tsp salt and pepper to taste) and cook another 4-5 min.
- Turn the heat down to low and stir in 2 tbsp lemon juice.
- Take the pan off heat and stir in 1/3 C parsley.
- To make the salad, chop tomato, cucumber, onion and 1/3 C parsley and stir them together. Stir in the 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
- To prepare the hummus, stir in water until you reach your desired consistency.
- Serve everything together in a pita wrap or with pita bread on the side.
Join the Community for Vegan Recipes
This is an updated post: Original post date December 2016.