Donair pizza is the ultimate way to enjoy a Canadian classic, and now vegans can enjoy it too! Load a flatbread pizza crust with donair seitan, sweet sauce, tomatoes and onion for a delicious vegan meal.
Sign up for the Veg Out newsletter to get vegan recipes and nutrition content from a Registered Dietitian!
This post contains affiliate links (including Amazon Associates) and I earn from qualifying purchases.
Homemade Donair Pizza
Donair pizza is a common takeout order, but it can also be made at home. Making homemade donair pizza is as simple as creating donair wraps from scratch!
Donair Pizza Ingredients
You need to start by making donair seitan, a vegan alternative to donair meat. This seitan recipe is straight forward as far as seitan recipes go. Simply mix the ingredients together, wrap in tin foil and bake!
Next, you’ll need some vegan donair sauce. Traditionally this sauce is made with condensed milk, but coconut milk is a simple and delicious vegan option. This sauce takes a bit of time to thicken but the result is worth it.
Finally, the donair pizza is assembled on a flatbread pizza crust. You can also make your own fresh vegan pizza crust if you like!
Load up the pizza with chopped onion and tomato which are classic donair toppings.
Vegetarian, Vegan and Dairy Free Donair Pizza
Donair is typically made with meat and a creamy sweet sauce that uses dairy. It’s not a vegetarian, vegan or dairy free option.
However, anything can be made vegetarian, dairy free or vegan with some creativity. This vegan donair pizza uses seitan as a meat alternative and coconut milk to create a dairy free donair sauce!
Donair pizza is based off my recipe for donair wraps, so head to that post for more details on how to make the vegan donair “meat” as well as the dairy free sauce!
You may also like my delicious recipe for vegan donair dip! This hot dip doesn’t require seitan (uses store bought veggie ground round instead).
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do! If you share your creations on social media, tag me @lettucevegout so I can see what you’ve made!
Vegan Donair Pizza
- Tin foil
- Baking tray
- Parchement paper
- Cutting Board
- Small pot
- Prepare the vegan donair "meat" (seitan).
- Prepare vegan donair sweet sauce while the meat/ seitan cooks.
- Chop the tomato and onion.
- Preheat the oven to 375 °F (would be set to 350 °F for the seitan).
- Assemble pizza by covering the flatbread/ pita with a layer of thinly sliced vegan donair meat. Sprinkle chopped tomatoes and onion on top of the meat/ seitan. Drizzle vegan donair sweet sauce over the pizzas.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the pizza crust/ flatbread/ pita bread is fully cooked and crisp (if using store bought pizza dough, follow package directions for cooking).