Salads are one of my favourite meals for lunch. I especially love being able to meal prep lunches for the week by making a grain or bean based salad. Not only are these types of salad more filling, but they don’t go soggy in the fridge. They will marinate in the dressing and taste better the next day. Wild rice is a great choice because it has a complex flavour profile and great texture. Colourful veggies are fantastic to brighten up the dish. The simple dressing will let the flavours of the ingredients shine.
This is simple to make. Simply cook the rice according to the package directions. While it cooks, rinse and drain the beans, chop the veggies and parsley and whisk together the dressing. Toss it all together and let it chill in the fridge before serving. It’s also great topped with avocado!
- ¾ C dry wild rice blend
- 19oz/ 540mL can chickpeas (about 2 C)
- 15oz/ 440mL can kidney beans (about 1 ½ C)
- 1 ½ C diced zucchini (or substitute for cucumber)
- 1 ½ C diced red bell pepper
- ¾ C diced red onion
- 1 C chopped parsley
- Zest and juice of a lemon (about 1 tbsp zest and ¼ C juice)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Cook the wild rice according to package directions.
- Rinse and drain the beans. Dice the vegetables and parsley.
- Mix together the lemon juice, vinegars, seasoning and oil to make the dressing.
- Toss everything together. Adjust the seasoning to taste. Enjoy!