The start of fall is always marked by the smells and tastes of pumpkin. There are so many delicious recipes to try this time of year, and this one is an absolute must for anybody who loves pumpkin as much as I do.
This isn’t a pumpkin spice recipe; it’s a warm, creamy, Thai inspired soup! It’s perfect as a Thanksgiving appetizer, or served anytime throughout this pumpkin-themed season.
This recipe can be prepared with a crockpot or a pot on the stove! My preference is to use a crockpot purely because it simplifies the process. It also allows you to cook the soup for a longer time and this allows the flavours to develop. But don’t worry, the stovetop method works just as well.
If you are using a crockpot – Place all the ingredients, except for the brown sugar and lime juice, into the pot and cook on low for 6 hours. Once the pumpkin is soft, blend the soup until it’s smooth.
If you are using the stovetop – Place all the ingredients, except the brown sugar, lime juice and coconut milk, into a pot. Bring the mixture to a boil, and then lower the heat so the liquid is simmering. Cook for approximately 1 hour with the lid on, until the pumpkin is soft. When the pumpkin is cooked, take the pot off of the heat and stir in coconut milk. Blend the soup until it’s smooth.
After the soup is blended, pour it into a pot on low heat and stir in your brown sugar and lime juice. Serve topped with chopped cilantro.
- 8 C cubed pumpkin (or butternut squash)
- 1 medium sized red onion, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp minced or grated ginger
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 tsp chili flakes (optional, only if you like it spicy)
- 1 can (400mL) coconut milk (can use a light or low fat coconut milk)
- 3 C vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp vegan fish sauce OR 1 tsp miso paste plus 1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ C chopped cilantro to serve
- For Crockpot: Place all ingredients except lime juice, brown sugar, and cilantro into the pot and cook on low heat for 6 hours. Blend the soup then stir in the lime juice and brown sugar. Serve with cilantro.
- For Stovetop: Place all ingredients except lime juice, brown sugar, cilantro and coconut milk into a large pot. Bring up to a boil then lower the heat to a simmer. Cook with the lid on for 1 hour, or until the pumpkin is soft. Stir in the coconut milk then blend the soup. Stir in the lime juice and brown sugar. Serve with chopped cilantro.