Welcome to 2017!
After eating a lot holiday food, I always like to start a new year with something fresh and light. Salad is the perfect way to start a year of healthy eating, so today I’m going to share one of my favourite spinach salad recipes. Don’t worry – this salad packs a ton of flavour and is filling enough to satisfy appetites of all sizes.
The maple-balsamic dressing for this salad is very simple, but perfectly balanced between the tart vinegar and sweet maple flavours. To create the dressing, simply whisk all the ingredients together and adjust the salt to taste.
I like to make salad dressing in a container or Mason jar. This way, you can easily store leftover dressing for another day. It will last at least a week in the fridge.
The salad ingredients are extremely flexible; you can use whatever you like or have on hand.
- I like to start with a leafy green base like spinach or spring mix.
- Add a crunchy nut; here I’ve used pecans.
- Add fruit, either fresh or dried. I love the combination of spinach and dried cranberries.
- For extra crunch, I like to add another veggie like cucumber (you could also use celery, carrots, bell pepper etc.).
- To make the salad more filling and satiating, I add a quarter of an avocado.
- To boost the protein content and keep you full, try sprinkling 2-3 tablespoons of hemp seeds on top.
- For extra flavour I also added sliced green onions.
Toss the salad with dressing and enjoy!
- • 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- • 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- • 2 tbsp maple syrup
- • 2 tbsp olive oil
- • ½ tsp salt
- • Spinach
- • Pecans
- • Dry cranberries
- • Cucumber
- • Avocado
- • Hemp seeds
- • Green onion
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- Prepare your salad veggies in any way you like.
- Toss the salad with the dressing before serving and enjoy!