Ah cheese, who doesn’t love cheese? Even as a vegan, or someone following a plant-based diet, you can still have your cheese! Feta was always my favourite cheese and I can still enjoy a delicious, healthier version of it as a vegan.
I promise this recipe couldn’t be any easier. All you are going to do is marinate cubes of tofu in the fridge overnight. Discard the marinade when you are ready to eat the cheese; if you are only using some of the cheese at one time, take out the cubes you want and leave the rest in the marinade.
Enjoy your salty treat in a salad, wrap or on its own. It would be a tasty addition to a vegan cheese board or as an appetizer with some crackers and veggies. The tofu will last for a week in the fridge, in the marinade. Enjoy!
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 4 tbsp)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ tbsp. nutritional yeast
- ½ tbsp. dry oregano
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ C almond milk (unsweetened, unflavoured)
- 1 block (350g) firm or extra firm tofu
- Cut the tofu into cubes. They can be any size you want but the smaller they are, the easier it will be for the marinade to soak into the middle of the cube.
- Place the tofu into a container and cover with the marinade ingredients. You can add a few extra tablespoons of almond milk to help cover the tofu with marinade.
- Let sit in the fridge for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight. If or when you get the chance, give the container a good shake to distribute the marinade evenly.