People ask me all the time how I can live without bacon. But I don’t live without bacon, I simply eat the vegan version of it! One of the simplest ways to make vegan bacon is with crumbled tofu, and that is the recipe I’m sharing today. Crumbled tofu, baked to crispy perfection, mimics bacon bits extremely well.
To make the bacon bits, simply crumble up a block of extra firm tofu. The smaller you can crumble the pieces, the easier it will be to get them nice and crispy. Larger pieces will crisp up, it just takes longer in the oven.
Cover the tofu with the marinade at let it sit for at least 20 minutes. While you wait, try whipping up a batch of vegan Caesar salad to go along with the bacon bits! Or you could sprinkle these bacon bits onto a batch of creamy vegan mac and cheese. How about bacon bits on some homemade pizza? The possibilities are endless.
Preheat your oven to 375 F. After the tofu has marinated, spread it out in a thin layer on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
Bake for 15 minutes, toss it around, then bake for another 10 minutes. Depending on your oven, and how much moisture was in your tofu, it may need extra time to crisp up. Put the bacon bits back into the oven for 5 minute intervals as needed.
Let the bacon bits cool completely then serve on top of your favourite salad, pasta, pizza or in a wrap!
- ½ block extra firm tofu (175g)
- 3 ½ tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp dry mesquite smoke seasoning or ¼ tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Stir together the tamari, maple syrup, mesquite smoke seasoning, nutritional yeast and smoked paprika.
- Finely crumble the tofu and coat with the marinade mixture. Let sit for at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 375 F.
- Spread the marinated tofu out in a thin layer on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Bake for 15 minutes, toss it around, then bake for another 10 minutes. The bacon bits may need more time to crisp up, depending on the moisture in your tofu so put the bacon bits back into the oven for 5 minute intervals as needed.
- Let the bacon bits cool completely then serve.