Who doesn’t love a freshly baked slice of banana bread? I certainly do! Here is a simple recipe for a banana loaf that is so delicious no one will be able to tell it’s made entirely from plants! This is great as a dessert or to pack as a snack that will give you some much-needed energy throughout the day.
Preheat your oven to 350oF.
Start by mixing the almond milk with the apple cider vinegar (to sour the milk) and set aside for now. Then mash the ripe bananas (“ripe” meaning lots of brown spots). Stir the sugar, vanilla, and melted coconut oil into the bananas. Now stir in the almond milk-vinegar mix.
In a separate bowl, stir together the flours, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon (if you’re using cinnamon). Then stir in the liquid mixture until just combined (don’t overmix).
Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan and bake for 40 minutes. The top of the banana bread should be golden brown, and a toothpick inserted into the centre of the loaf should come out clean once the loaf is baked.
Let the banana bread cool for a few minutes in the pan, then carefully remove from the pan and let it cool completely on a cooling rack before slicing into it. Enjoy!
- ¼ C almond milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 medium, ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 ¼ C mashed)
- ½ C lightly packed brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ C coconut oil, melted
- ¾ C whole wheat flour
- ¾ C all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Stir the vinegar into the almond milk and set aside.
- Mash the bananas, then stir in the sugar, vanilla, and melted coconut oil.
- Stir the almond milk-vinegar mix into the banana mix.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the remaining ingredients.
- Stir the liquid into the flour mix until just combined (don’t over-mix).
- Pour batter into a greased loaf pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes until the top is browned and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before slicing.