I am always on the look out for quick and tasty meals. Most of the food I cook is simple but delicious and this week’s recipe is no exception! It has bright, fresh flavours perfect for the summer time.
This is a great recipe for meal prepping. Meal prep is one of the best ways to save time through the week and ensure you have a constant supply of healthy foods. Essentially, all meal prepping entails is cooking large batches of food, typically on Sunday, that you can portion out for the week. Simply heat up a portion when you are ready to eat it!
To begin making this recipe, heat your oven to 375oF. Cover a large baking tray with tin foil.
Wash 3 medium sweet potatoes and slice them in half lengthwise. Rinse and drain the can of chickpeas. Place the sweet potato and chickpeas on the baking tray and toss with the oil and spices (cumin, coriander, paprika). Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Bake for 20-30 minutes, until the sweet potato is soft to the center (poke it with a fork).
While the sweet potato cooks, prepare the other 2 components of this recipe. The sauce is extremely simple to make. Take 1 cup of hummus and thin it out with some water to your desired consistency. You can use lemon juice and/or olive oil to thin out the hummus as well.
To add a ton of fresh flavour to this meal, I like to serve it with a tomato-parsley salad. Cut the cherry tomatoes into halves or quarters. Stir in the chopped parsley, lemon zest and juice, minced onion, olive oil, salt and pepper.
One the sweet potatoes are cooked, place one half onto a plate with a couple spoonful’s of chickpeas. Top with the tomato-parsley salad and hummus sauce!
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 15oz can chickpeas
- 1 tbsp olive oil (or melted coconut oil)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp coriander
- 2 tsp paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- • 1 C hummus
- • Water
- • 1 ½ C (250g) cherry tomatoes
- • ½ C chopped parsley
- • Zest of 1 lemon
- • Juice of ½ lemon (about 2 tbsp)
- • 4 tbsp minced onion (about ½ medium onion)
- • ½ tbsp olive oil
- • Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat your oven to 375oF.
- Cover a large baking tray with tin foil.
- Wash sweet potatoes and slice them in half lengthwise.
- Rinse and drain the can of chickpeas.
- Place the sweet potato and chickpeas on the baking tray and toss with the oil and spices.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, until the sweet potato is soft to the center.
- To make the sauce thin out the hummus with water to your desired consistency.
- To make the salad cut the cherry tomatoes into halves or quarters. Stir in the chopped parsley, lemon zest and juice, minced onion, olive oil, salt and pepper.